By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – For the first time in school history, Keiser (Fla.) is in the top spot in the first regular-season edition of the NAIA Men’s Golf Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Friday. The second installment will be conducted on March 11, 2016.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2000):
• No. 1 Keiser (Fla.) received six first-place votes for a total of 500 points.
• British Columbia and Oklahoma City are tied for second-place as each team received five first-place votes and 498 points total.
• The final three first-place votes went to No. 4 and two-time defending national champion, Coastal Georgia. The Mariners received 488 points.
• 2015 national runner-up William Woods (Mo.) (No. 5) rounds out the top 5 as the Owls received a total of 483 points.
• There are six new teams in the Top 25 – No. 9 Arizona Christian, No. 13 Southeastern (Fla.), No. 14 Oregon Tech, No. 16 Lewis-Clark State (Idaho), No. 19 Cumberlands (Ky.) and No. 25 Taylor (Ind.)
• Tennessee Wesleyan (No. 14), Thomas (Ga.) (No. 17), Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) (19), Union (Ky.) (No. 21), Bethany (Kan.) (No. 22) and Our Lady of the Lake (Texas) (No. 25) dropped out of the Top 25.
• Marian (Ind.) had the biggest jump within the Top 25, moving up 13 spots from No. 24 to No. 11.
• The Sun Conference leads all leagues with five teams represented.
• Thirteen of the 20 conference/unaffiliated groups are represented in the Top 25.
• Oklahoma City leads the NAIA with 39 all-time No. 1 rankings, followed by former member Oklahoma Christian (28) and Texas Wesleyan. Wayland Baptist (Texas) and Coastal Georgia are tied for third with five each.
• In 2015, Coastal Georgia, Oklahoma City, and William Woods held the No. 1 spot at least once during the season. All-time 11 teams have held the position at least once.
• Oklahoma City has never been ranked outside the top 5 and is the only Preseason No. 1 team to go on to win the national championship during the same season – 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2010.
• For the complete rating calendar, click here.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2015-16 NAIA Men’s Golf Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 1 (Nov. 6)
|RANK||LAST^||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||12||Keiser (Fla.) (6)||500|
|T2||1||British Columbia (5)||498|
|T2||3||Oklahoma City (5)||498|
|5||2||William Woods (Mo.)||483|
|6||7||Wayland Baptist (Texas)||445|
|7||3||Johnson & Wales (Fla.)||430|
|8||9||Grand View (Iowa)||383|
|T14||5||USC Beaufort (S.C.)||273|
|16||RV||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||272|
|17||13||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||248|
|18||11||Dalton State (Ga.)||243|
|20||14||The Master’s (Calif.)||217|
|21||10||Webber International (Fla.)||211|
|22||20||Mount Mercy (Iowa)||174|
Dropped from the Top 25: Tennessee Wesleyan (No. 14), Thomas (Ga.) (No. 17), Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) (No. 19), Bethany (Kan.) (No. 22) and Our Lady of the Lake (Texas) (No. 25)
Others receiving votes: Cumberland (Tenn.) 70; Thomas (Ga.) 69; Reinhardt (Ga.) 62; Faulkner (Ala.) 58; Embry-Riddle (Ariz.) 51; Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.) 33; William Jessup (Calif.) 24; St. Gregory’s (Okla.) 22; St. Ambrose (Iowa) 18; Northwestern (Iowa) 15; SCAD Savannah (Ga.) 14; Union (Ky.) 8; Southwestern (Kan.) 5; Warner (Fla.) 5; Bellevue (Neb.) 5; Columbia (Mo.) 4;