By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Defending national champion Georgia Gwinnett remains in the No. 1 position in the third regular-season edition of the NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Tuesday. The third regular-season poll will be released March 29.
Top 25 Highlights
• Georgia Gwinnett captures the No. 1 ranking for the third straight week in-a-row after receiving all 11 first-place votes and 281 total points.
• The Grizzlies most recent wins include three against Top 25 competitors like No. 10 William Carey (Miss.), then-No. 23 Cumberland (Tenn.) and then-No. 15 Campbellsville (Ky.).
• Middle Georgia State saw the most movement this week, going from No. 24 to No. 16 moving eight spots. Pivotal wins for the Knights came from a 7-2 victory against NCAA Division II Georgia Southwestern.
• Missouri Valley see Top 25 action this week ranking in at No. 25.
• Ten teams did not move positions this week, including the top four.
• Eleven conferences/Association of Independent Institutions/unaffiliated groups are represented throughout the Top 25, led by five programs from the Southern States Athletic Conference. The A.I.I/Cal Pac/GCAD/KIAC Conference and Golden State Athletic Conference are second with three teams mentioned each.
• Georgia Gwinnett (2015), Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) (2009, 08, 07) Fresno Pacific (Calif.) (2011, 10), Azusa Pacific (Calif.) (2006, 04) and Oklahoma City (2001, 00) are the only teams to go the entire season ranked No. 1.
• Auburn Montgomery has the most No. 1 rankings in the Top 25 (29), former-member Azusa Pacific (Calif.) and Fresno Pacific (Calif.) are second with 23 each.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions. For the entire 2015 NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll schedule, click here.
2016 NAIA Women’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 3 (March 15)
|1||1||Georgia Gwinnett (11)||11||0||281|
|2||2||Auburn Montgomery (Ala.)||6||4||271|
|5||8||Dalton State (Ga.)||9||4||246|
|7||6||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||4||2||226|
|10||10||William Carey (Miss.)||6||6||201|
|11||12||San Diego Christian (Calif.)||5||2||188|
|14||16||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||4||2||157|
|16||24||Middle Georgia State||7||5||143|
|18||18||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||1||3||140|
|20||20||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||5||5||109|
Dropped from Top 25: Graceland (Iowa)
Receiving Votes: Mobile (Ala.) 39, Tennessee Wesleyan 37, Southeastern (Fla.) 32, Indiana Wesleyan 24, Cornerstone (Mich.) 23, Cumberlands (Ky.) 13, Baker (Kan.) 12, Kansas Wesleyan 5, Indiana Southeast 4, Pikeville (Ky.) 4 ,Graceland (Iowa) 3, Martin Methodist (Tenn.) 3