By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Georgia Gwinnett continues its reign atop the poll for the fourth-straight time in the fourth regular-season edition of the NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Tuesday. The fifth regular-season poll will be released April 12.
Top 25 Highlights
• Georgia Gwinnett earns the No. 1 ranking after capturing all 13 first-place votes and 343 total points.
• The Grizzlies have been dominant throughout the season with a perfect record (13-0) and the only team to have no losses in the Top 25. Most recent wins include a 9-0 victory over NCAA Division III DePauw (Ind.) on March 25.
• No. 2 Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) has been stuck in the No. 2 position for the last three polls, never more than 16 total points behind Georgia Gwinnett.
• The Warhawks are 8-4 on the season with wins against NCAA Division II Shorter (Ga.), March 23 (8-1) and Young Harris (Ga.), March 28 (9-0).
• Twenty teams have stayed in the same ranking for the last two polls.
• Five teams have reached double-digit wins on the season as No. 13 Aquinas (Mich.) leads the group with 14 wins.
• No. 25 Mobile (Ala.) is back in the Top 25 for the first time since Feb. 17, 2015 poll. The Rams are 7-5 on the season.
• Missouri Valley is the only team to fall out of the Top 25.
• Ten conferences/Association of Independent Institutions/unaffiliated groups are represented throughout the Top 25, led by six programs from the Southern States Athletic Conference. The Mid-South and A.I.I/Cal Pac/GCAC/KIAC Conference are second with three teams mentioned each.
• No. 20 Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) has been ranked 119 times throughout 17 seasons, Auburn Montgomery is second with 117 rankings and Webber International (Fla.) in third with 103.
• Georgia Gwinnett (2015), Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) (2009, 08, 07) Fresno Pacific (Calif.) (2011, 10), Azusa Pacific (Calif.) (2006, 04) and Oklahoma City (2001, 00) are the only teams to go the entire season ranked No. 1.
• Auburn Montgomery has the most No. 1 rankings in the Top 25 (29), former-member Azusa Pacific (Calif.) and Fresno Pacific (Calif.) are second with 23 each.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions. For the entire 2015 NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll schedule, click here.
2015 NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 4 (March 29)
|RANK||LAST WEEK^||SCHOOL (1st place votes)||WON||LOST||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Georgia Gwinnett (13)||13||0||343|
|2||2||Auburn Montgomery (Ala.)||8||4||331|
|5||5||Dalton State (Ga.)||13||4||299|
|7||7||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||8||2||272|
|10||10||William Carey (Miss.)||7||6||244|
|11||11||San Diego Christian (Calif.)||6||3||232|
|14||14||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||6||1||197|
|16||16||Middle Georgia State||9||5||179|
|18||18||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||4||3||159|
|20||20||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||5||5||132|
Dropped from the Top 25: Missouri Valley (25)
Receiving Votes: Missouri Valley 69, Southeastern (Fla.) 54, Tennessee Wesleyan 50, Cornerstone (Mich.) 17, Cumberlands (Ky.) 14, Indiana Wesleyan 11, Baker (Kan.) 10, Arizona Christian 5, Martin Methodist (Tenn.) 4, Davenport (Mich.) 4
^ Ranking based off the NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 3 (March 15)