2016 NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 6 (April 26)
By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Georgia Gwinnett continues its reign atop the poll for the sixth-straight time in the sixth regular-season edition of the NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Tuesday. The final regular-season poll will be released May 8.
Top 25 Highlights
• Georgia Gwinnett earns the No. 1 ranking after capturing all 13 first-place votes and 343 total points.
• The Grizzlies continue to dominate throughout the season with a perfect record (20-0) and the only team to have zero losses in the Top 25.
• No. 2 Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) has locked down the No. 2 position for the last five polls - never more than 16 total points behind Georgia Gwinnett.
• The Warhawks are 20-2 on the season after picking up its 12th consecutive Southern States Athletic Conference tournament championship. Auburn Montgomery swept one-seeded Dalton State (Ga.), 5-0.
• No. 16 Bethany (Kan.) sees the biggest jump in the poll, moving up five spots after going 5-0 in the last two weeks with wins against Baker (Kan.), 7-2, and then No. 12 McPherson (Kan.), 5-4.
• McPherson had the most significant drop in the poll, falling eight spots.
• The top 11 teams have not changed since the last installment.
• Thirteen teams stayed in the same ranking for the last two polls.
• No. 19 Cumberlands (Ky.) and No. 23 Pikeville (Ky.) are newcomers to the Top 25 Poll.
• Marian (Ind.) and Cumberland (Tenn.) fell out the Top 25.
• Ten conferences/Association of Independent Institutions/unaffiliated groups are represented throughout the Top 25, led by six programs from the Southern States Athletic Conference. The Sun Conference and Golden State Athletic Conference are second with three teams mentioned each.
• No. 13 Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) has been ranked 121 times throughout 17 seasons, Auburn Montgomery is second with 119 rankings and Webber International (Fla.) in third with 103.
• Georgia Gwinnett (2015), Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) (2009, 08, 07) Fresno Pacific (Calif.) (2011, 10), Azusa Pacific (Calif.) (2006, 04) and Oklahoma City (2001, 00) are the only teams to go the entire season ranked No. 1.
• Auburn Montgomery has the most No. 1 rankings (29). Former-member Azusa Pacific (Calif.) and Fresno Pacific (Calif.) are second with 23 each.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions. For the entire 2015 NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll schedule, click here.
2015 NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 6 (April 25)
|RANK||LAST WEEK^||SCHOOL (1st place votes)||WIN-LOSS||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Georgia Gwinnett (13)||20-0||343|
|2||2||Auburn Montgomery (Ala.)||20-2||331|
|5||5||Dalton State (Ga.)||15-6||299|
|7||7||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||14-3||276|
|9||9||San Diego Christian (Calif.)||9-3||255|
|10||10||William Carey (Miss.)||15-6||245|
|T12||14||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||12-7||215|
|T12||13||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||11-9||215|
|18||19||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||13-7||147|
|21||20||Middle Georgia State||12-8||125|
Dropped from the Top 25: Marian (Ind.) and Cumberland (Tenn.)
Receiving Votes: Marian (Ind.) 58, Tennessee Wesleyan 49, Cumberland (Tenn.) 33, Southeastern (Fla.) 30, William Woods (Mo.) 20, Biola (Calif.) 13, Indiana Tech 8, Indiana Wesleyan 7, Arizona Christian 6, Loyola (La.) 6, Missouri Baptist 3
^ Ranking based off the NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 5 (April 12)