2016 NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – Postseason (May 25)
By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Georgia Gwinnett sits atop the leader board for the ninth-consecutive week in the postseason edition of the NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Wednesday.
Top 25 Highlights
• Georgia Gwinnett earns the No. 1 ranking after capturing all nine first-place votes and 219 total points.
• The Grizzlies took home their third-straight national title on May 21 at the 2016 NAIA Men’s Tennis National Championship, beating No. 2 Xavier (La.), 5-2.
• Georgia Gwinnett has earned every first-place vote this season, along with a perfect record (26-0).
• Xavier earns the second spot after winning its way to the championship match with wins against No. 13 Westmont (Calif.), (5-1), No. 7 Keiser (Fla.), (5-3) and No. 3 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.), (5-3).
• The Gold Rush are the first team in Xavier history to make it to a national championship title match.
• Lindsey Wilson moved up four spots in the Top 25 Poll after a huge win against No. 5 Auburn Montgomery (Ala.), (5-3) in the quarterfinals of the national championship that led to a first time appearance in the semifinals where they fell to Xavier.
• No. 15 Warner (Fla.) has the most significant jump in the poll, moving up five spots from No. 20. The Royals recorded an upset sweep in the first-round of the national championship against No. 17 McPherson (Kan.), 5-0.
• No. 18 Reinhardt (Ga.) had the most significant drop in the poll, falling five spots.
• Ten teams stayed in the same ranking since last time.
• There are no newcomers to the Top 25 Poll.
• Nine conferences/Association of Independent Institutions/unaffiliated groups are represented throughout the Top 25, led by six programs from the Southern States Athletic Conference. The Mid-South Conference is second with four teams mentioned.
• No. 13 Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) has been ranked 123 times throughout 17 seasons, Auburn Montgomery is second with 121 rankings and Webber International (Fla.) in third with 103.
• Georgia Gwinnett (2015, 16), Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) (2009, 08, 07) Fresno Pacific (Calif.) (2011, 10), Azusa Pacific (Calif.) (2006, 04) and Oklahoma City (2001, 00) are the only teams to go the entire season ranked No. 1.
• Auburn Montgomery has the most No. 1 rankings (29). Former-member Azusa Pacific (Calif.) and Fresno Pacific (Calif.) are second with 23 each.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions. For the entire 2015 NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll schedule, click here.
2016 NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – Final (May 25)
|RANK||LAST WEEK^||SCHOOL (1st place votes)||WON||LOST||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||Georgia Gwinnett (9)||26||0||219|
|3||7||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||17||4||202|
|4||5||Dalton State (Ga.)||19||6||201|
|5||2||Auburn Montgomery (Ala.)||19||5||188|
|9||9||William Carey (Miss.)||13||8||160|
|11||12||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||12||10||148|
|12||11||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||16||7||147|
|16||16||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||15||9||118|
|21||21||Middle Georgia State||11||9||75|
Dropped from the Top 25: None
Receiving Votes: Missouri Baptist 35, Marian (Ind.) 33, Southeastern (Fla.) 22, Asbury (Ky.) 10, Cumberland (Tenn.) 6, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas) 5, Hastings (Neb.) 5, Indiana Tech 3, SCAD Atlanta (Ga.) 3
^ Ranking based off the NAIA Men’s Tennis Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – Final (May 9)