2016-17 NAIA Men’s Golf Coaches’ Preseason Top 25 Poll
By Spencer Scheve, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Defending national champion Oklahoma City claims the No. 1 spot in the NAIA Men’s Golf Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Friday. The Stars, who won their 10th National Championship last season, received 17 first-place votes and earned 498 final points.Top 25 highlights (historical information dates back to 1999):
• The last time Oklahoma City was ranked No.1 in the Top 25 was the 2016 postseason poll on June 3.
•The Stars first toutrnament this season is on Monday, September 26 at the Sand Creek Station Golf Club in Newton, Kansas.
• William Woods (Mo.) earns the No. 2 spot with one first-place vote and earning 479 points. William Woods finished No. 2 in the 2015 postseason poll.
• To round out the top 5, Texas Wesleyan earns the No. 3 spot with 455 points, Johnson & Wales (Fla.) claims the No. 4 spot with 450 points and Wayland Baptist at No. 5 with 426 points.
• Only two teams have gone the entire season as the No. 1 ranked team -- Oklahoma City in 2002 and 2004 and Oklahoma Christian in 2008.
• Six teams held the No. 1 ranking in 2016 – Coastal Georgia (2), Keiser (Fla.), Johnson & Wales (Fla.), Wayland Baptist (Texas), William Woods (Mo.) and Oklahoma City.
•13 of the 21 Conference/ Association of Independent Institutions are represented.
• Thirteen of the 21 conference/Association of Independent Institutions are represented.
•The Sun Conference leads all leagues with five teams represented – No. 4 Johnson & Wales (Fla.), No. 8 Keiser (Fla.), No. 12 Southeastern (Fla.), No. 16 Webber International (Fla.) and No. 18 USC Beaufort (S.C.).
• The Southern States Athletic Conference had four school represented, followed by the Sooner Athletic Conference with three schools.
• The Association of Independent Institutions, Heart of America Athletic Conference, Golden State Athletic Conference and the Crossroads league all have two teams.
• No. 25 Reinhardt (Ga.) is the only new team to the Top 25. The Eagles received votes in the 2016 postseason poll.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
• The frequency of polls occur bi-weekly for the 2016-17 season.
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2016-17 NAIA Men’s Golf Coaches’ Preseason Top 25 Poll – (Aug. 26, 2016)
|RANK||LAST^||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||1||Oklahoma City (17)||498|
|2||2||William Woods (Mo.) (1)||479|
|4||3||Johnson & Wales (Fla.)||450|
|9||11||Grand View (Iowa)||357|
|11||T13||Dalton State (Ga.)||319|
|15||15||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||275|
|16||T17||Webber International (Fla.)||260|
|18||10||USC Beaufort (S.C.)||239|
|19||19||The Master’s (Calif.)||218|
|20||20||Mount Mercy (Iowa)||217|
Others receiving votes: Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) 95; Northwestern Ohio 84; Thomas (Ga.) 44; Bellevue (Neb.) 38; Embry-Riddle (Ariz.) 37; St. Gregory's (Okla.) 37; Our Lady of the Lake (Texas) 17; Tennesse Wesleyan 17; St. Ambrose (Iowa) 14; Northwestern (Iowa) 14; Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) 11; St. Thomas (Fla.) 5; Brescia (Ky.) 3; William Jessup (Calif.) 3; Bethany (Kan.) 3
^Based off 2016 Postseason Coaches’ Poll (June 3, 2016)