2016 Women’s Division II Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – Poll No. 1 (Nov. 29)
KANSAS CITY, MO. – Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.) takes over the top position in the 2016 NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball Coaches’ Preseason Top 25 Poll, the national office announced on Tuesday. The second regular-season installment will be released on Tuesday, Dec. 13.
Top 25 Highlights
• After a 9-0 start to the season, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.) has earned the No. 1 ranking for the first time since the 2003-04 season. The Tigers earned 7 of 12 first place votes and 307 points.
• The Tigers hold a perfect 3-0 record in the Great Plains Athletic Conference with wins against Dordt (Iowa), Midland (Neb.) and Mount Marty (S.D.).
• No. 2 Marian (Ind.) falls to the second spot this week after a loss to unranked Tennessee Wesleyan, 92-89. The Knights received four first-place votes and 299 points.
• No. 3 St. Francis (Ill.) saw movement this week, moving up two positions after starting its season with a perfect 6-0 record.
• The final first-place vote went to No. 3 Saint Xavier (Ill.), who also holds a perfect record (7-0). The Cougars moved up three spots in the Top 25 Poll with a noticeable win against then No. 8 Davenport (Mich.). 93-72 on Nov. 12.
• No. 12 Indiana Northwest sees the most significant jump in the Top 25 Poll, jumping nine positions from No. 21 in the preseason poll.
• The Redhawks earned their top 10 ranking after impressive wins against a pair of ranked teams: then-No. 23 Madonna (Mich.) (74-59) on Oct. 29, and then-No. 11 Goshen (Ind.) (78-69) on Nov. 16.
• No. 7 Concordia (Neb.) also saw a higher ranking this week, moving up seven spots from No. 14 in the last Top 25 Poll.
• No. 14 Hastings (Neb.), No. 17 Indiana East, No. 20 Southeastern (Fla.), No. 21 Indiana Tech, No. 22 Huntington (Ind.) and No. 24 Friends (Kan.) all made its way into the Top 25 Poll this week. This is the first Top 25 ranking in program history for Indiana East and Southeastern.
• Overall, 11 of the 12 conferences are represented in this edition of the poll. The Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference and Great Plains Athletic Conference share the lead with five teams representing each conference. The Crossroads League brings in three teams, while The Cascade Collegiate Conference, Association of Independent Institutions, Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference and Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference all have two programs in the rankings.
• No. 9 Morningside has the most No. 1 rankings in NAIA history with 38. No. 9 Indiana Wesleyan is second with 33.
• Morningside holds the active streak of being ranked in the Top 25 (157). No. 6 Saint Xavier (Ill.) is second with 144-straight, including its time in Division I.
• College of the Ozarks (2007-08), Morningside (2008-09) and Saint Francis (Ind.) (1999-00) are the only teams to go the entire season ranked No. 1.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2016-17 NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – Poll No. 1 (Nov. 29)
|RANK||LAST WEEK^||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||2016 Record||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||3||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||9-0||307|
|3||5||St. Francis (Ill.)||6-0||282|
|3||6||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||7-0||282|
|6||7||College of the Ozarks (Mo.)||9-1||270|
|15||13||Purdue Northwest (Ind.)||7-3||160|
|16||19||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||7-2||157|
|19||15||Briar Cliff (Iowa)||5-3||130|
|25||16||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||5-3||71|
Dropped from the rankings: No. 11 Goshen (Ind.), No. 20 Oregon Tech, No. 22 Dickinson State (N.D.), No. 23 Madonna (Mich.)
Others receiving votes: Northwestern (Iowa) 66, Lawrence Tech (Mich.) 63, Dickinson State (N.D.) 58, Union (Ky.) 40, Oregon Tech 30, Asbury (Ky.) 12, Kansas Wesleyan 9, Reinhardt (Ga.) 5, Madonna (Mich.) 4, Concordia (Mich.) 3
^Reflects ranking in 2016-17 preseason poll