By Spencer Scheve, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Anna Shields of Point Park (Pa.) has been named the final NAIA National Women's Indoor Track Athlete of The Week and Carlie Vannatta of Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) has been named the final NAIA National Women's Indoor Field Athlete of The Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Shields and Vannatta were selected based on their performances from Feb. 13 – 19.
Women’s Indoor Track Athlete of the Week:
Anna Shields, Point Park (Pa.)
So., Torrington, Conn.
• Recorded a first-place finish in the mile run and a second-place finish in the 800-meter run at the Kent State Tuneup on Feb. 18.
• Shields finished first out of 54 athletes in the mile run with a time of 4:49.02, which tops the NAIA.
• Finished second in the 800-meter run out of 58 athletes with a time of 2:12.81, which is No. 3 in the NAIA.
• This is Shields second Player of the Week award this season.
Women’s Indoor Field Athlete of the Week
Carlie Vannatta, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)
Sr., Zionsville, Ind.
• Recorded a first-place finish in the weight throw and a fourth-place finish in the shot put at the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC) Indoor Championships on Feb. 17 - 18.
• Vannatta threw a mark of 18.11 in the weight throw, which ranks No. 2 in the NAIA.
• She tossed a distance of 12.43 in the shot put to finish fourth out of 15 athletes.
• Vannatta was selected as the CCAC field athlete of the meet.
For the complete Athlete of the Week calendar, click here.
Track Nominees: Megan Van Harn, William Woods (Mo.); Rebecca Starrett, Missouri Baptist; Emily Kearney, SCAD Atlanta (Ga.); Hannah Segrave, Milligan (Tenn.); Greta Van Calcar, SCAD Atlanta (Ga.); Jenna Moody, St. Francis (Ill.); Caitlin Clark, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Shennel Williams, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Jessica Miller, Bethel (Ind.); Corrine Melvin, Indiana Wesleyan; Raven Arellano, Grace (Ind.); Mindy Kaufman, Montana Western; Bailey Bard, Rocky Mountain (Mont.); Kennedy King, Grand View (Iowa); Asia Laudermilch, William Penn (Iowa); Taylor Needham, Southwestern (Kan.); Amber Posner, Jamestown (N.D.); Taylor Navratil, Waldorf (Iowa); Tyanna Petty, Rio Grande (Ohio); Silvia Sosa, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Casity Crawford, Texas Wesleyan; Aminat Olowora, Oklahoma City; Josefine Malmborg, Keiser (Fla.); Adri Sigafoose, Aquinas (Mich.); Sarah Dunmore, Indiana Tech
Field Nominees: Abby Stricker, Columbia (Mo.); Liz Maller, Milligan (Tenn.); Mieke Paulick, Marian (Ind.); Melanie Nellis, Bethel (Ind.); Hannah Treadway, Grace (Ind.); Daphne Puckett, Great Falls (Mont.); LaVon Davis, Grand View (Iowa); Jasmin Green, Campbellsville (Ky.); Kaiann Arellano, Jamestown (N.D.); Markai Wotoe, Waldorf (Iowa); Telecia Briscoe, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Candella Guijarro, Indiana Tech
2016-17 Women's Indoor T&F Composite Award Winners (Field, Track)
Week 1 (January 18): Kelbie Lyon, Hastings (Neb.) , Stephanie Johnston, Concordia (Mich.)
Week 2 (January 25): Sara Olsen, Hastings (Neb.) , Natali Engle, Friends (Kan.)
Week 3 (February 1): Kelbie Lyon, Hastings (Neb.) , Anna Shields, Point Park (Pa.)
Week 4 (February 08): Allie Brooks, Concordia (Neb.) , Adri Sigafoose, Aquinas (Mich.)
Week 5 (February 15): Crystal Schmidt, Carroll (Mont.) , Hannah Segrave, Milligan (Tenn.)
Week 6 (February 22): Carlie Vannatta, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) , Anna Shields, Point Park (Pa.)