2017 NAIA Softball Players of the Week — No. 7 (May 2)
By Spencer Scheve, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Caroline Brown of Purdue Northwest (Ind.) has been named the final NAIA National Softball Pitcher of the Week and Tara Moates of Oregon Tech has been named the final NAIA National Softball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Brown and Moates were selected based on their performances from April 24 – 30, and were chosen out of a pool of conference, independent and unaffiliated group winners.
Softball Pitcher of the Week
Caroline Brown, Purdue Northwest (Ind.)
Sr., P, Minooka, Ill.
• Brown earned three wins while allowing zero earned runs against Roosevelt (Ill.), Trinity Christian (Ill.) and WVU Tech (W. Va.).
• Brown pitched 21.0 innings allowing 13 hits, while recording five strikeouts and one walk on the week.
• Her highlight game came against WVU Tech where Brown recorded two strikeouts and allowed two hits in seven innings pitched.
• Brown held her opponents to a .186 batting average while allowing zero extra base hits on the week.
• She boasts a 14-8 overall record with a 1.54 ERA on the season.
Softball Player of the Week
Tara Moates, Oregon Tech
Jr. OF, Klamath Falls, Ore.
• Had 11 at-bats, connecting for 10 hits, totaling 13 RBI's on the week.
• Her highlight game came in the first game of the series against the Eagles when Moates recorded four hits connecting for two home runs and two doubles tallying a school record nine RBI's.
• Averaged 2.8 at bats, 2.5 hits, 2.8 runs scored, a batting average of .909 and an Oregon Tech school record for a slugging percentage of 2.091.
• Moates totaled 11 runs scored, four doubles, three singles, three home runs (including a grand slam) and four walks on the week.
• Ranked No. 6 in the NAIA in doubles per game (0.455) and No. 7 in total bases per game (2.82).
Pitcher Nominees: Makenzie Prince, Freed-Hardeman (Tenn.); Rachel Matthews, Tennessee Wesleyan; Kaylee Wallingford, Marymount (Calif.); Breena Smith, Marian (Ind.); Rachel Henks, Morningside (Iowa); Erin Enke, Central Methodist (Mo.); Lindsey Ogilvie, British Columbia; Madison Byrd, Tabor (Kan.); Aryanna Cannoy, Cumberlands (Ky.); Erin Sharpe, Bellevue (Neb.); Marci West, LSU Alexandria; Emily Gray, Indiana Southeast; Abby Meador, Oklahoma City; Kathleen Daniel, Brenau (Ga.); Marisa Loya, Aquinas (Mich.)
Player Nominees: Allyson Metz, Columbia (Mo.); Maddie Evans, Reinhardt (Ga.); Sonia Escalera, Marymount (Calif.); Kelly Rinker, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Casey Lehman, Huntington (Ind.); Rachel Koch, Morningside (Iowa); Emily Brown, William Penn (Iowa); Lexie Brenneis, British Columbia; Kristina Brown, Fisher (Mass.); Kaylie Felix, Tabor (Kan.); Kaylee James, Cumberlands (Ky.); Erin Sharpe, Bellevue (Neb.); Julinn Torres, LSU Alexandria; Bailey Blair, Cincinnati Christian (Ohio); Kali Pugh, Oklahoma City; Savannah Moore, Brenau (Ga.); Lauren French, Davenport (Mich.)
2017 Softball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 22): Kathleen Daniel, Brenau (Ga.), Allyson Metz, Columbia (Mo.)
Week 2 (March 29): Georgia Wall, Oklahoma City, Kaisey Carson, Indiana Wesleyan
Week 3 (April 5): Kathleen Daniel, Brenau (Ga.), Kelsey Gravens, Midway (Ky.)
Week 4 (April 12): Abby Meador, Oklahoma City, Kassidy Butler, Michigan-Dearborn
Week 5 (April 19): Kathleen Daniel, Brenau (Ga.), Molly Carter, Columbia (Mo.)
Week 6 (April 26): Taylor Winn, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.), Kali Pugh, Oklahoma City
Week 7 (May 3): Caroline Brown, Purdue Northwest (Ind.), Tara Moates, Oregon Tech