By Chad Waller, Director of Athletic Communications and Media
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Makenna Aycock of Texas Wesleyan has been named the NAIA National Softball Pitcher of the Week and teammate Bailey Terry has been named the NAIA National Softball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Aycock and Terry were selected based on their performances from April 2 – 8, and were chosen out of a pool of conference, independent and unaffiliated group winners.
Softball Pitcher of the Week
Makenna Aycock, Texas Wesleyan
Jr., P, Tyler, Texas
- Aycock posted two wins, one save in 15.0 innings pitched and collected 13 strikeouts and a 1.40 ERA.
- Weekly Stats
- Set a career-high with 10 strikeouts in 8-0 win over Southwestern Christian (Okla.) on April 4.
- Tossed a complete-game, eight-inning contest as she finished with three strikeouts and three runs allowed in 4-3 win against No. 2 Science & Arts (Okla.) on April 6. The Drovers entered the game in the top 10 in runs scored at 7.6.
- Earned the one-inning save in the victory over Science & Arts in the second game of the doubleheader. She didn’t allow a base runner and fanned one batter.
- With a 10-3 record on the year, Aycock has won her last five starts in the circle.
Softball Player of the Week
Bailey Terry, Texas Wesleyan
Jr., 3B, Las Cruces, N.M.
- She hit .500 (6-for-12) with five homers, six runs scored and 15 RBI in a week when the Rams went 4-0.
- Weekly Stats
- In a doubleheader sweep of No. 2 Science & Arts (Okla.), Terry went 4-for-7 with three home runs and nine RBI.
- Five of her six hits on the week were round-trippers.
- Extended her active hitting streak to 10 games.
- Ranks third in the NAIA in total RBI (47) and fourth in home runs (12).
Player Nominees: Brianna Collender, Reinhardt (Ga.); Alexis Parras, Simpson (Calif.); Shevan Defreitas, Eastern Oregon; Haley Huss, Roosevelt (Ill.); Kristen Exposito, Indiana Wesleyan; Jamie Ponce, Hope International (Calif.); Jordyn Stearns, Doane (Neb.); Kaycee Dexter, Avila (Mo.); Tori Robinson, Georgia Gwinnett; Claire Eccles, British Columbia; Lauren Blue, Kansas Wesleyan; Chaselyn Allgeier, Georgetown (Ky.); Rachael Dillon, Dickinson State (N.D.); Adrianna Silva, Southwest (N.M.); Michaela Criner, Rio Grande (Ohio); Shelby Brown, Faulkner (Ala.); Kalie Romig, Ave Maria (Fla.); Kayli Bowen, Aquinas (Mich.).
Pitcher Nominees: Katelyn Platt, Lyon (Ark.); Karley Hobbs, Truett-McConnell (Ga.); Annisa Hamilton, Marymount California; Sabrina Boyd, Corban (Ore.); Morghan Dieringer, St. Francis (Ill.); Danielle Munn, Indiana Wesleyan; Kolbi Tonini, Vanguard (Calif.); Jaylee Hinrichs, Midland (Neb.); Olivia Brees, Baker (Kan.); Kerstie Reynolds, Stillman (Ala.); Chantelle Twynstra, British Columbia; Abbey Ely, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Hannah Morton, Georgetown (Ky.); Kat Miska, Jamestown (N.D.); Abbey Mcmillian, LSU Alexandria (La.); Alyssa Yates, Midway (Ky.); Karley Sanders, Mobile (Ala.); Sylvia Welsh, Warner (Fla.); Gina Verduzco, Michigan-Dearborn.
2018 Softball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 21): Emily Smith, Valley City State (N.D.); Caitlin McNiff, Missouri Baptist
Week 2 (March 28): Morghan Dieringer, St. Francis (Ill.); Chloe Clifton, Science & Arts (Okla.)
Week 3 (April 3): Anessa Cepeda, Hope International (Calif.); Cassie Kuizin, Taylor (Ind.)
Week 4 (April 10): Makenna Aycock, Texas Wesleyan; Bailey Terry, Texas Wesleyan