2015 NAIA Women’s Soccer Player of the Week – No. 7 (Oct. 20)
By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Julia Schojan of Fisher (Mass.) has been named the NAIA National Women’s Soccer Offensive Player of the Week and Anesa Curic of MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) has been selected the NAIA National Women’s Defensive Player of the Week, the national office announced on Tuesday. The duo were chosen for their performances during the week of Oct. 12 – 18 and were selected from a pool of conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Julia Schojan, Fisher (Mass)
So., FD., Rochester, N.Y.
• Tallied 15 goals in four games.
• Recorded six assists to help Fisher to a 4-0 week.
• She logged double-digit point totals in three of the four games – 11 points (five goals, one assist) against Vermont Tech (USCAA), 10 points (three goals, four assists) against Presque Isle (Maine) (NCAA DIII) and 10 points (five goals) against Pine Manor (Mass.) (NCAA DIII).
• Schojan ranks in the top 10 in the NAIA in numerous offensive categories – No. 1 in total assists (17) and assists per game (1.130), No. 2 in total goals (35), goals per game (2.330), total points (87.000), points per game (5.800) and shots on goal per game (5.070), and No. 3 in shots per game (7.200).
• This is Schojan’s Second career Player of the Week honor.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Anesa Curic, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)
Fr., Gk., Salt Lake City, Utah
• Recorded seven saves in an upset win over then-No. 3 Benedictine (Kan.), 5-1.
• Allowed just the one goal against Benedictine, who ranks fourth in the NAIA in total goals (66), fifth in goals per game (4.400) and shots on goal per game (12.800).
• Tallied two more saves in a 1-0 victory over Culver-Stockton (Mo.)
• She owns a 2-1 record in four starts in goal this season.
• This is her first career National Player of the Week honor.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete player of the week calendar, click here.
Offensive Nominees: Kelli Westhues, Columbia (Mo.) ; Jessica Austin, Union (Ky.) ; Denim Belville, Soka (Calif.) ; Betsy Hetrick, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) ; Heather Jones, Saint Francis (Ind.) ; Kelsey Steck, Westmont (Calif.) ; Amy Grause, Morningside (Iowa) ; Maria Blasco, Missouri Valley ; Cydney Lewis, McPherson (Kan.) ; Alexandra Klein, WVU Tech ; Connie Awuku-Darkoh, Cumberland (Tenn.) ; Cait Michicich, Viterbo (Wis.) ; Emily Lupton, Houston-Victoria (Texas) ; Aspen Robinson, John Brown (Ark.) ; Millene Cabral Vieira, Martin Methodist (Tenn.) ; Sharon Tejeda, St. Thomas (Fla.) ; Alayna Hilgendorf, Davenport (Mich.)
Defensive Nominees: Flavia Rosado, Columbia (Mo.) ; Brandi Anderson, Bluefield (Va.) ; Adri Jackson, Embry-Riddle (Ariz.) ; Kylie Moltzen, Southern Oregon ; Trish Masterson, St. Francis (Ill.) ; Autumn Demott, Huntington (Ind.) ; Kaylin Swart, Menlo (Calif.) ; Megan Manley, Midland (Neb.) ; Kate Salmonsen, Kansas Wesleyan ; Brooke Perkins, Asbury (Ky.) ; Amanda Howard, Campbellsville (Ky.) ; Isabelle Ferm, Viterbo (Wis.) ; Amy Burrows, Houston-Victoria (Texas) ; Kirsten Thomas, Oklahoma City ; Julia Appelberg, William Carey (Miss.) ; Alyssa Denton, Thomas (Ga.) ; Sanni Valila, Northwestern Ohio
2015-16 Women's Soccer Composite Award Winners (Defensive, Offensive)
Week 1 (September 09): Blaire Schmalenberg, Madonna (Mich.) , Betsy Hetrick, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)
Week 2 (September 16): Brittany Lang, William Carey (Miss.) , Jamie Holifield, William Carey (Miss.)
Week 3 (September 23): Tori Ditter, Hannibal-LaGrange (Mo.) , Samantha Silva, Middle Georgia State
Week 4 (September 30): Samantha Wooster, Houston-Victoria (Texas) , Yvonne Ploeg, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Week 5 (October 07): Jovana Canales, Bethany (Kan.) , Jamie Holifield, William Carey (Miss.)
Week 6 (October 14): Niccole McGuire, Morningside (Iowa) , Laerke Michaelsen, SCAD Savannah (Ga.)
Week 7 (October 21): Anesa Curic, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) , Julia Schojan, Fisher (Mass.)