2016 NAIA Women's Volleyball Player of the Week - No. 1 (Sept. 6)
By Nikki Sherrill, Communications & Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Three players have been named national Players of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Midland’s (Neb.) Priscilla O’Dowd was selected as Attacker of the Week, Nicole Warren of Jamestown (N.D.) was chosen as Defender of the Week and the Setter of the week honor went to Meghan Birr of Lourdes (Ohio). These three were selected based on their performances from Aug. 29 to Sept. 5 and were chosen out of a pool of conference player of the week selections.
National Attacker of the Week
Priscilla O'Dowd, Midland (Neb.)
So., MD, Omaha, Neb.
• Totaled 58 kills over four matches against ranked or receiving votes opponents to help Midland improve to 11-0.
•Tallied 12 kills in a win against No. 10 MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) and 14 against No. 15 Rocky Mountain (Mont.).
• Hit just shy of .500 at the Bellevue Labor Day Classic, recording an attack percentage of 0.490.
• Ranks No. 2 nationally in hitting percentage (0.477) and No. 6 in total kills (156).
National Defender of the Week
Nicole Warren, Jamestown (N.D.)
Sr., DS, Oakes, N.D.
• Earned 1,000 career digs in a Jamestown win against then No. 20 Evangel (Mo.). She recorded 44 digs in that match. Also in the contest, she was perfect in passing, going 30-for-30 and perfect with serving at 13-13.
• For the week, she had eight aces and a service percentage of 0.940.
• Ranks No. 12 nationally in digs per game (5.970) and No. 13 nationally in total digs (209).
National Setter of the Week
Meghan Birr, Lourdes (Ohio)
Sr., S, Muskegon, Mich.
• Led her Lourdes team to two top five victories over preseason No. 1 Columbia (Mo.) and No. 2 Missouri Baptist. These are the highest ranked teams the program has ever defeated.
• Posted 25 assists against Columbia and 38 against Missouri Baptist en route to an average of 9.68 per set.
• Ranks 31st nationally in assists per game (9.680).
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week Calendar, click here.
Attacker: Wendy Romero, Park (Mo.) ; Lindsey Wagner, St. Andrews (N.C.) ; Michele Mendizabal, La Sierra (Calif.) ; Janessa White, Warner Pacific (Ore.) ; Olivia Simpson , Purdue Northwest (Ind.) ; Annelise Rohrer, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio) ; Paige Montgomery, Carroll (Mont.) ; Libby Dahlberg, Westmont (Calif.) ; Dakota Santore, Missouri Valley ; Valerie Most, Kansas Wesleyan ; Annija Abolina, Campbellsville (Ky.) ; Kayla Budgins, Waldorf (Iowa) ; Leilani Smith, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas) ; Lindi Thomas, IU Kokomo ; Manon Soraru, Oklahoma City ; Hannah Buck, Mobile (Ala.) ; Shanotta Bawek, St. Thomas (Fla.) ; Stephanie Ruffing, Lourdes (Ohio)
Defender: Madisson Williams, Lyon (Ark.) ; Kayla Rymer, Bryan (Tenn.) ; Emily Morgan, La Sierra (Calif.) ; Haley Wells, Corban (Ore.) ; Casey Neulieb, Purdue Northwest (Ind.) ; Vanessa Lay, Marian (Ind.) ; Natalie Kassa, Carroll (Mont.) ; Kami Troesh, Westmont (Calif.) ; Jocelyn Garcia, Concordia (Neb.) ; Ashley Smith, Clarke (Iowa) ; Andrea Kappelman, Friends (Kan.) ; Jessie Pendleton, Campbellsville (Ky.) ; Miyah Keller, Wiley (Texas) ; Chandler Brown, Rio Grande (Ohio) ; Chalon Anderson, Texas Wesleyan ; Jessica Bagwell, Mobile (Ala.) ; Thalia Mendez, Warner (Fla.) ; Taylor Kelso, Indiana Tech
Setter: Megan Huffman, Missouri Baptist ; Shelby Enochs, Bryan (Tenn.) ; Marissa Fregoso, La Sierra (Calif.) ; Madison Mclain, Corban (Ore.) ; Brooke Ahrens, Purdue Northwest (Ind.) ; Katie Elson, Indiana Wesleyan ; Jonni Dorr, Carroll (Mont.) ; Amy Buffham, Westmont (Calif.) ; Jamie Gesink, Dordt (Iowa) ; Maja Krstonosic, Missouri Valley ; Jana Boston, Friends (Kan.) ; Sarah Bell, Georgetown (Ky.) ; Maddie Squiers, Bellevue (Neb.) ; Brenda Pargas, Southwest (N.M.) ; Hannah Barker, Indiana Southeast ; Sanja Vojnovic, Oklahoma City ; Cayley Meiners, Coastal Georgia ; Carlee Baxter, Webber International (Fla.)
2016 NAIA Volleyball Players of the Week (Complete Schedule)
Week 1 (Sept. 6): Attacker, Priscilla O’Dowd, Midland (Neb.); Defender, Nicole Warren, Jamestown (N.D.); Setter, Meghan Birr, Lourdes (Ohio).