By Pete Scantlebury, NAIA Manager of Athletic Communications
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Central Methodist (Mo.), fresh off a national championship run in its first NAIA Men’s Soccer postseason appearance, claimed the No. 1-spot in the final edition of the 2018 NAIA Men’s Soccer Coaches’ Top 25 Poll.
Behind the Eagles were runners-up Missouri Valley, William Carey and Madonna (Mich.), in that order. Those teams made up the semifinalists in the 2018 NAIA Men’s Soccer National Championship.
Top 25 Highlights
- In a season of firsts for Central Methodist, this is the first No. 1-ranking in program history. The Eagles were well-deserved champions, finishing the season 22-2-2 and avenging their only loss in the final two months of the season by defeating Missouri Valley on penalty kicks in the national championship.
- Missouri Valley were the national runners-up for the second year in a row, and likewise, finish another season with the No. 2 overall ranking.
- William Carey, the tournament’s No. 1 seed, dropped to No. 3 after its first and only loss on the year. The Crusaders were knocked out by Missouri Valley in the semifinals.
- Madonna made a huge leap, jumping from No. 19 in the final regular-season poll to No. 4 in the postseason poll. The Crusaders advanced to the semifinals as an unseeded team, their first such appearance in school history.
- Joining the postseason poll: No. 8 Rocky Mountain (Mont.), No. 17 Mid-America Christian (Okla.), No. 21 Arizona Christian, No. 24 Reinhardt (Ga.) and No. 25 Marymount California.
- Dropping out of the poll this week: Science & Arts (Okla.), Benedictine (Kan.), The Master’s (Calif.), Wayland Baptist (Texas), University of Northwestern Ohio, and Point (Ga.)
- Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) holds the record as the longest consecutively ranked active school at 128-straight polls, dating back to the first installment of the Top 25 in 2007. Rio Grande (Ohio) is second on the list with 118 consecutive polls.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences, Association of Independent Institutions and Unaffiliated Groups.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
- For the complete men’s soccer ratings calendar, click here.
2018 NAIA Men's Soccer Coaches' Top 25 Poll – Postseason (Dec. 5)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL [1ST-PLACE VOTES]||RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||3||Central Methodist (Mo.) ||22-2-2||498|
|3||2||William Carey (Miss.)||20-1-1||463|
|5||1||Rio Grande (Ohio)||20-1-0||426|
|7||10||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||20-3-0||404|
|8||NR||Rocky Mountain (Mont.)||18-5-1||376|
|10||11||Spring Arbor (Mich.)||17-5-1||335|
|17||NR||Mid-America Christian (Okla.)||13-6-1||258|
|18||7||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||15-3-1||249|
|20||18||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||15-5-0||167|
Dropped out: Science & Arts (Okla.), Benedictine (Kan.), The Master’s (Calif.), Wayland Baptist (Texas), University of Northwestern Ohio, Point (Ga.)
Receiving votes: Southeastern (Fla.) 91, Science & Arts (Okla.) 76, Benedictine (Kan.) 55, UC Merced 49, LSU-Alexandria 37, The Master’s (Calif.) 34, Wayland Baptist (Texas) 29, Lawrence Tech (Mich.) 27, Mobile (Ala.) 17, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) 10, William Woods (Mo.) 6, Huntington (Ind.) 6, Northwestern Ohio 5, Missouri Baptist 3