KANSAS CITY, Mo. – The inaugural championship season for men’s volleyball opens with the defending invitational champions, Grand View (Iowa), at No. 1 in the preseason NAIA Men’s Volleyball Coaches’ Top 10 Poll, the national office announced on Tuesday.
Top 10 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2017):
- Grand View was ranked No. 1 five times during the 2018 season.
- The Vikings return two-of-three first-team All-Americans in Felix Chapman and John Chamone. The team adds one top newcomer in Patrick Furlong.
- No. 10 Missouri Valley lands at No. 10 in the poll after ending 2018 receiving votes.
- No team has been ranked at No. 1 for an entire season in the last two year. Grand View has the most No. 1-rankings with 11. Missouri Baptist and Park (Mo.) are the only other teams with a No. 1-rank each with three.
- Park holds the longest active streak in the polls with 19-consecutive rankings. Grand View, Lourdes (Ohio) and Ottawa (Kan.) follow with 18-consecutive rankings.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences, Association of Independent Institutions and Unaffiliated Groups.
- The Top 10 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second place and so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
- The frequency of polls occurs bi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) for the 2016-17 academic season. This change will allow raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work in between rating periods.
- For the complete rating calendar, click here.
2019 Men’s Volleyball Coaches’ Preseason Top 10 Poll
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL [FIRST PLACE VOTES]||RECORD||POINTS|
|1||1||Grand View (Iowa) ||23-5||106|
|2||2||Benedictine Mesa (Ariz.)||21-9||96|
|6||9||St. Ambrose (Iowa)||21-10||65|
|7||7||Cardinal Stritch (Wis.)||25-9||55|
|9||9||St. Andrews (N.C.)||19-9||31|
Others receiving votes: Robert Morris (Ill.) 26, Briar Cliff (Iowa) 18, Clarke (Iowa) 12, Hope International (Calif.) 6, Siena Heights (Mich.) 7