By Pete Scantlebury, NAIA Manager of Athletic Communications
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – There have been three different No. 1 teams atop the NAIA DII Men’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll as Oklahoma Wesleyan becomes the newest team to ascend to the top spot. The Eagles replace College of Idaho, which drops to No. 2.
Top 25 Highlights
- Oklahoma Wesleyan is 17-0 on the season and moved to
topspot with eight first-place votes, jumping from No. 3 in the second poll of the season.
- College of Idaho fell to No. 2 after its first loss of the year, dropping a road game to Northwest Christian (Ore.) 84-80 on Dec. 16.
- College of Idaho received two first-place votes, as did Indiana Wesleyan, the No. 3 team in the latest poll.
- Morningside (Iowa) fell from No. 2 to No. 5 after its first loss of the season.
- Just two teams entered the poll: No. 21 Jamestown (N.D.) and No. 24 Friends (Kan.).
- Indiana Wesleyan holds the longest active streak in the poll with 78-straight appearances. Bethel is next with 68, moving from No. 23 to No. 16 this week. Following those two teams is No. 6 Cornerstone (Mich.) with 57.
- The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and Association of Independent Institutions.
- The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for
second-placeand so on through the list.
- The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered
a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appearson.
- Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
Frequencyof polls occurbi-weekly. This policy was approved by the National Administrative Council (NAC) for the 2016-17 academic season. This change will allow raters the opportunity to consider a larger body of work in between rating periods.
- For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here
2018-2019 NAIA Division II Men’s Basketball Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 3 (Jan. 8, 2019)
|RANK||LAST WEEK||SCHOOL [1ST-PLACE VOTES]||RECORD||POINTS|
|1||3||Oklahoma Wesleyan ||17-0||307|
|2||1||College of Idaho ||17-2||297|
|3||4||Indiana Wesleyan ||15-3||293|
|5||5||Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio)||16-2||274|
|7||6||Briar Cliff (Iowa)||14-3||234|
|8||9||Spring Arbor (Mich.)||15-3||232|
|15||18||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||13-4||166|
|17||16||Indiana East (Ind.)||12-6||146|
|19||17||College of the Ozarks (Mo.)||13-4||124|
|23||25||Indiana Southeast (Ind.)||11-6||88|
Dropped out: Saint Francis (Ind.), Warner Pacific (Ore.)
Others receiving votes: Montreat (N.C.) 64, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) 50, Hastings (Neb.) 14, Eastern Oregon 13, St. Francis (Ill.) 12, Voorhees (S.C.) 11, Siena Heights (Mich.) 11, Simpson (Calif.) 6, Mayville State (N.D.) 5, Madonna (Mich.) 5, Dordt (Iowa) 4, Brescia (Ky.) 4, Warner Pacific (Ore.) 4, IU-Kokomo (Ind.) 4, Indiana Northwest 3