2017 NAIA Women's Soccer Players of the Week — No. 2 (Sept. 12)
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Sarah Klunder of Spring Arbor (Mich.) has been named the NAIA National Women’s Soccer Defensive Player of the Week and Sienna Nealon of John Brown (Ark.) has been named the NAIA National Women’s Soccer Offensive Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Klunder and Nealon were selected based on their performances from Sept. 4 – 10, and were chosen out of a pool of conference, independent and unaffiliated group winners.
Offensive Player of the Week
Sienna Nealon, John Brown (Ark.)
Fr., F, Windsor, Calif.
- In three John Brown wins last week, Nealon notched a pair of game-winners, including one against then-No. 16 Cumberland (Tenn.)
- Weekly Stats:
- Posted three goals, one assist and seven points in three matches.
- Recorded first collegiate goal in 4-2 win over then-No. 16 Cumberland (Tenn.) on Sept. 4.
- Pulled within one point of team scoring lead with her three-goal week.
Defensive Player of the Week
Sarah Klunder, Spring Arbor (Mich.)
Sr., D, Grandville, Mich.
- Klunder helped Spring Arbor post a pair of shutouts from her centerback defender position, including one against the defending national champions and then-No. 1 ranked University of Northwestern Ohio.
- Weekly Stats:
- Was part of a defense to shut out two opponents last week.
- Limited one of the top NAIA players in Northwestern Ohio’s Camilla Andersen to zero goals – Andersen led the NAIA in markers last year with 35.
- As a defensive unit, Spring Arbor has not allowed a goal in six matches this year.
Offensive Nominees: Maci Cotler, Hannibal-LaGrange (Mo.); Bekah Cundiff, Milligan (Tenn.); Mariah Anaya, La Sierra (Calif.); Marijka Lynch-Pastoor, Holy Cross (Ind.); Morgan Marshall, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Lauryn Gamache, Rocky Mountain (Mont.); Ayana Suarez, Vanguard (Calif.); Pt Perez, Midland (Neb.); Amber Ellis, Evangel (Mo.); Natasha Martin, Johnson & Wales (Colo.); Natasha Martin, Johnson & Wales (Colo.); Kaja Cremin, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Rebecca Holloway, Cumberland (Tenn.); Kristina Contratto, Southwest (N.M.); Megan Klenk, Cincinnati Christian (Ohio); Millene Cabral Vieira, Martin Methodist (Tenn.); Ashlin Taylor, Rochester (Mich.).
Defensive Nominees: Alyssa Gregory, Park (Mo.); Sami Joy, Milligan (Tenn.); Caitlyn Aaron, Embry-Riddle (Ariz.); Carly Bledsoe, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Devan Murfitt, Carroll (Mont.); Kayla Peterson, The Master's (Calif.); Rachel Thigpen, Midland (Neb.); Manaia Siania Unutoa, Graceland (Iowa); Hannah French, Sterling (Kan.); Jovana Ivanovic, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Cecilie Mortensen, LSU Alexandria; Amanda Nicholson, Indiana East; Caitlyn Logan, John Brown (Ark.); Melanie Lefebvre, William Carey (Miss.); Julia Stewart, Madonna (Mich.).
2017 Women’s Soccer Composite Award Winners (Defensive, Offensive)
Week 1 (Sept. 5): Romane Salvador, University of Northwestern Ohio; Millene Cabral, Martin Methodist (Tenn.)
Week 2 (Sept. 12): Sarah Klunder, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Sienna Nealon, John Brown (Ark.)