By Alan Grosbach, Associate Director of Athletic Communications and Media
Photo provided by Saint Francis (Ind.) Athletic Department
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Saint Francis (Ind.) maintained its No. 1 ranking, as the top five teams in the 2017 NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll remained unchanged for a fourth-straight week, the national office announced Monday. The Cougars garnered all 15 first-place votes en route to 340 total points.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
• Saint Francis downed conference rival then-No. 8 Marian (Ind.), 31-24, last Saturday to lock down the No. 1 ranking for a seventh-straight poll. The game-winning touchdown came with 6:50 remaining in the contest when Justin Green capped a 13-play, 89-yard drive with a 10-yard touchdown run.
• Saint Francis enters the week riding
• Three new teams joined the Top 25 for the third-consecutive week – No. 23 SAGU (Texas), No. 24 Hastings (Neb.) and No. 25 Kansas Wesleyan. SAGU, the only team among the trio not ranked earlier this season, is off to a 4-1 start, including a dominant 43-6 win over then-No. 10 Arizona Christian last weekend. The Lions last appeared in the Top 25 on October 26, 2015.
• Carroll (Mont.) owns the most No. 1 rankings with 58, followed by former NAIA member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), No. 10 Georgetown (Ky.) (25), No. 4 Morningside (Iowa) (20) and No. 11 Saint Xavier (14).
• Morningside holds the longest active streak with 130-straight Top 25 mentions. Additionally, the Mustangs have been ranked within the top 10 in 79-straight polls.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
• Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2017 NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 4 (October 2, 2017)
|RANK||LAST TIME^||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||2017 RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||1||Saint Francis (Ind.) (15)||5-0||340|
|6||6||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||5-0||274|
|7||7||Grand View (Iowa)||5-1||260|
|11||13||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||4-1||213|
|21||20||Dickinson State (N.D.)||4-1||105|
|22||25||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||4-2||58|
Dropped from the Top 25: Cumberland (Tenn.) (No. 22); Peru State (Neb.) (No. 23); Midland (Neb.) (No. 24)
Others Receiving Votes: Cumberland (Tenn.) 13; Peru State (Neb.) 11; Cumberlands (Ky.) 8; Rocky Mountain (Mont.) 5; Campbellsville (Ky.) 5; Bethany (Kan.) 5; Dakota State (S.D.) 5.
^ Top 25 ranking from September 25, 2017, Top 25 Poll