ORANGE Beach, Ala. - (Box Score | Bracket) Two-time national champion and No. 2 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) returns to familiar territory after downing No. 6 Spring Arbor (Mich.), 2-1, on Friday in the semifinals of the 2012 NAIA Women's Soccer National Championship, presented by the Sports Medicine Center at Orthopedic Group, P.C., and Encore Rehabilitation, Inc.
With the victory, the Blue Raiders advance to their fourth all-time national championship final to play No. 12 Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) at 5 p.m. CST at the Orange Beach Sportsplex in Orange Beach, Ala.
"These kids laid it out there," said Lindsey Wilson head coach Drew Burwash. "Spring Arbor is a great team. I have a great deal of respect for them. They made it difficult for us in the first half. We made a couple of adjustments and we were able to find some success - incredible game."
Spring Arbor drew first blood when Karly Linton netted her team-leading 20th goal of the season to give the Cougars a 1-0 lead in the 23rd minute.
However, Lindsey Wilson forward Mia Persson's goal in the 68th minute tied the score 1-1. That score, which was assisted by Elizabeth Madjarac, was her team-best 31st goal of the season and a tournament-high fourth in three games. Persson is the current Blue Raider all-time leading goal scorer with 72 career goals.
Approximately 12 minutes later, Madjarac converted the game-winner on a one-timer from just inside the penalty area. The goal is Madjarac's first of the championship.
Lindsey Wilson (19-4-1) improved to 3-3-1 all-time in semifinal appearances, while Spring Arbor (20-3-2) was making its first-ever trip to the round of four.
NeuLion, the NAIA's official video-stream company of 12 select NAIA national championship events, will be broadcasting all matches of the 2012 Women's Soccer National Championship final site in Orange Beach, Ala. Single-day packages can be purchased for $9.95, while an all-tournament pass is available for $29.95. For more information or to register, click here.
For more information on the 2012 NAIA Women's Soccer National Championship, click here.
Lindsey Wilson head coach Drew Burwash
National Championship Semifinal No. 2 Notes
• Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) advances to its fourth all-time national championship final with a 2-1 win over No. 6 Spring Arbor (Mich.). The Blue Raiders last appeared in the final in 2006.
• The Blue Raiders come-from-behind victory is just the second such contest in the 2012 championship. Spring Arbor's comeback win over No. 11 Kansas Wesleyan in the second round was the other.
• Lindsey Wilson it trying to become the sixth team in NAIA women's soccer history to win three-or-more national championships.
• Saturday's national championship final between Lindsey Wilson and Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) will be the first-ever meeting between the two sides.
• Spring Arbor falls to 0-1-0 all-time in semifinal matches. Prior to 2012, the Cougar had not advanced past the second round.