By Chad Waller, Director of Communications and Sports Information
This Week Around NAIA Volleyball
· A majority of the 225 programs will kick-off their 2013 campaign this week in the 34th season of NAIA volleyball.
· Defending national champion and top-ranked Concordia (Calif.) begins its year riding a 38-match win streak. After winning its first-ever title last year, the Eagles went 38-0. Concordia takes on William Jessup (Calif.) Thursday in the Biola/Red Lion Hotel Anaheim Summer Slam in La Mirada, Calif.
· In the Summer Slam, host school and No. 4-ranked Biola (Calif.) welcomes No. 6 College of Idaho Thursday. That match marks the first of the 2013 campaign between top-10 opponents.
· Overall, 12 Top 25 match-ups are scheduled this upcoming weekend:
o Thursday: No. 6 College of Idaho at No. 4 Biola (Calif.)
o Thursday: No. 6 College of Idaho vs. No. 16 Westmont (Calif.)
o Friday: No. 8 MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) at No. 5 Oklahoma Baptist
o Friday: No. 6 College of Idaho vs. No. 9 The Master's (Calif.)
o Friday: No. 20 Cal State San Marcos vs. No. 9 The Master's (Calif.)
o Friday: No. 17 (tie) Indiana Wesleyan vs. No. 13 Midland (Neb.)
o Friday: No. 17 (tie) Missouri Baptist vs. No. 19 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
o Saturday: No. 22 Point Park (Pa.) vs. No. 11 Madonna (Mich.)
o Saturday: No. 17 Indiana Wesleyan vs. No. 12 Bellevue (Neb.)
o Saturday: No. 13 Midland (Neb.) vs. No. 24 Grand View (Iowa)
o Saturday: No. 17 Indiana Wesleyan at No. 24 Grand View (Iowa)
o Saturday: No. 25 Carroll (Mont.) vs. No. 21 Eastern Oregon
· To view the complete scoreboard, click here.
· The Coaches' Preseason Top 25 Poll was announced Tuesday as Concordia (Calif.) earned 21-of-22 first-place votes to secure the No. 1 position. National runner-up Columbia (Mo.) landed the second spot, followed by No. 3 Texas at Brownsville, No. 4 Biola (Calif.) and No. 5 Oklahoma Baptist. For the complete poll, click here.
· The first national NAIA Player of the Week will be conducted Sept. 10. For the complete schedule, click here.
Looking Ahead to the National Championship
· For the sixth-straight year, Sioux City, Iowa, will play host to the 34th annual NAIA National Championship. The final site event will take place Dec. 3 -- 7 at the Tyson Events Center.
· The National Championship Opening Round will occur Nov. 23 with 12 matches going on at various campus sites. Those 12 winners will meet up with the top 12 teams with a bye for a 24-team national championship final site event in Sioux City.
· The 36-team National Championship Opening Round field will be announced Nov. 17.
For the Record (Through games played Aug. 20)
· No. 13 Midland (Neb.) was the first volleyball program to play a varsity match this year. The Warriors upended Great Falls (Mont.), 3-0, on the afternoon of Aug. 16. Midland has opened the season with a 4-0 record.
· Along with Midland, fifteenth-ranked Viterbo (Wis.) holds the most wins in the NAIA with a 4-0 mark. The V-Hawks have swept all four matches this season.
· In all, 23 programs (out of 225) have already made their first serve of the season. Six of those teams are undefeated and nine are searching for victory No. 1.
· Midland and No. 25 Carroll (Mont.) played out the first Top 25 battle of the season with the Warriors taking a 3-2 match on Aug. 17.
· Heading into this year, Taylor (Ind.) tops all NAIA programs in 33 years of competition with 1,131 victories. Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio) is right behind in second place with 1,096 wins, but accomplished that mark in five fewer seasons.
· No. 2 Columbia (Mo.) holds the American Midwest Conference record with 156-straight league wins. Riding the current streak heading into 2013, the Cougars last AMC loss came on Oct. 3, 2002 to Missouri Baptist.