By Chad Waller, Director of Communications and Sports Information
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Clark Lydon of Marymount (Calif.) has been named the NAIA National Men’s Soccer Defensive Player of the Week and Brent Rodden (pictured) of Siena Heights (Mich.) has been named the NAIA National Men’s Soccer Offensive Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Both athletes were selected for their performances during the week of Sept. 7 – Sept. 13 and were chosen from a pool of conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Clark Lydon, Marymount (Calif.)
6-2, Sr., GK, Keighly, England
• Blanked two opponents last week – San Diego Christian (Calif.) and Westmont (Calif.).
• He posted totals of 12 saves in 200 minutes.
• In 4-0 win over San Diego Christian on Sept. 7, Lydon halted five shots on goal. Coming into that game, San Diego Christian averaged 3.8 goals per match (in four matches).
• Tallied seven saves in double OT scoreless draw with Westmont (Calif.) on Sept. 9. That was first scoreless match for Westmont since Oct. 25, 2014.
• First career NAIA National Defensive Player of the Week award.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Brent Rodden, Siena Heights (Mich.)
6-1, Fr., F, Taylor, Mich.
• Scored four goals and assisted on two others in two wins last week. Overall, he recorded 10 points.
• Had a part in six of the seven goals scored by Siena Heights. Rodden went for a pair in the 4-1 win over Huntington (Ind.) on Sept. 7 and another two goals in 3-1 triumph over Purdue-Calumet (Ind.) on Sept. 12.
• Helped the Saints surpass their win total from a season ago with a 3-1 overall record.
• Takes a three-match points’ streak into contest with Grace Bible College (Mich.) on Wednesday.
• Ranks No. 20 in the NAIA in points per game (2.75).
• First career NAIA National Offensive Player of the Week award.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Offensive Nominees: Matheus Allonso, Williams Baptist (Ark.); Jordan Williams, Reinhardt (Ga.); Cruz Trenado, UC Merced; Joe Bolin, College of Idaho; Viktor Plevnes, Robert Morris (Ill.); Helton Moura, Bethel (Ind.); Jesus Fregoso, Vanguard (Calif.); Drew Miller, Nebraska Wesleyan; Tiago Ferreira, Missouri Valley; Ryan Senior, Washington Adventist (Md.); Percia Obradovic, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Luiz Filho, Rio Grande (Ohio); Franco Roman, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Sebastian Flores, Viterbo (Wis.); Edrian Negrete, Southwest (N.M.); Liam Madden, Science & Arts (Okla.); Alan Harwell, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Severin Abt, Thomas (Ga.).
Defensive Nominees: Javier Piedra, Williams Baptist (Ark.); Leandro Custodio, St. Andrews (N.C.); Admir Selimovic, College of Idaho; Chris Taborn, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Lukas Muszong, Bethel (Ind.); Josh Glover, Westmont (Calif.); Matt Scott, Northwestern (Iowa); Mitchell Hart, Graceland (Iowa); Luka Stojanovic, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Bryan McDowell, Cincinnati Christian (Ohio); Yuta Nomura, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Alan Carr, Bellevue (Neb.); Jorge Cavazos, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Will Simonds, John Brown (Ark.); Filip Ahlstrom, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Ben McFarlane-Barnes, Thomas (Ga.); Aaron Johnson, Michigan-Dearborn.
2015 Men's Soccer Composite Award Winners (Defensive, Offensive)
Week 1 (Sept. 8): Robbie Barnhill, Grace (Ind.); Aleksi Pahkasalo, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Week 2 (Sept. 15): Clark Lydon, Marymount (Calif.); Brent Rodden, Siena Heights (Mich.)