KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Morningside (Iowa) claims the No. 1 ranking in the second regular-season edition of the NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Monday. The third regular-season edition will be released on Sept. 28.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
• Morningside (Iowa) garners the No. 1 ranking for the 18th time in program history. The Mustangs were the unanimous pick, receiving all 15 first-place votes and 340 total points. The Mustangs (3-0) put their unbeaten record on the line Thursday against NCAA Division III powerhouse Wisconsin-Whitewater. Kick off is scheduled for 6 p.m. CDT, and the game will be broadcast live on ESPN3.
• The Mustangs last No. 1 ranking was on Nov. 10, 2014.
• Morningside holds the longest active streak of top 10 rankings, having been listed among the top 10 teams for 51-straight polls dating back to Sept. 19, 2011.
• Two newcomers joined the Top 25 this edition: No. 24 Kansas Wesleyan and No. 25 Peru State (Neb.). The Coyotes have not been ranked since Oct. 29, 2012, while Peru State was ranked last season.
• Twenty-three teams shuffled positions this week, highlighted by a poll-best five spot jump by No. 17 Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.) and No. 19 Reinhardt (Ga.). No. 22 Missouri Valley, which dropped nine places from last edition, fell farther than any team still ranked in the Top 25.
• The Frontier Conference – No. 4 Southern Oregon, No. 6 Carroll (Mont.), No. 16 Montana Western and No. 21 Montana Tech – and the Great Plains Athletic Conference – Morningside, No. 10 Northwestern (Iowa), No. 13 Doane (Neb.) and Dakota Wesleyan – lead all conferences with four ranked teams each. (Note – conferences with separate divisions are looked at as two different leagues).
• The Central States Football League is the only conference without representation in this week’s installment.
• Thirty-two different teams have been ranked in 2015.
• Carroll (Mont.) owns the most top-billings with 58, followed by former member Sioux Falls (S.D.) (55), Georgetown (Ky.) (25), Morningside (18) and Saint Xavier (Ill.) (14)
• With the 187-straight Top 25 streak of Saint Francis (Ind.) snapped in mid-October last year, Carroll owns the active lead with 183. Missouri Valley is next with 118-consecutive mentions, followed by Morningside (102) and Saint Xavier (92).
• For more information on NAIA football, click here.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
• Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
|RANK||LAST TIME^||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||2015 RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||2||Morningside (Iowa) (15)||3-0||340|
|2||3||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||3-0||327|
|7||11||Robert Morris (Ill.)||3-0||266|
|9||8||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||3-1||236|
|11||10||Grand View (Iowa)||3-1||216|
|12||12||William Penn (Iowa)||3-1||191|
|14||17||Saint Francis (Ind.)||3-0||164|
|15||16||Valley City State (N.D.)||3-1||154|
|17||22||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||4-0||119|
|18||21||MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)||2-2||113|
|23||20||Webber International (Fla.)||2-2||51|
|25||NR||Peru State (Neb.)||3-1||24|
Dropped from the Top 25: Benedictine (Kan.) (No. 18); Langston (Okla.) (No. 23)
Others Receiving Votes: Benedictine (Kan.) 22; Eastern Oregon 18; St. Ambrose (Iowa) 8; Langston (Okla.) 6.
^ Top 25 ranking from Sept. 14, 2015 Top 25 Poll