By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Department Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Tray Boone of Dickinson (N.D.), DeMario Fair of Valley City State (N.D.) and Dontaye Johnson of Robert Morris (Ill.) were named NAIA Football National Players of the Week, the national office announced Monday. Boone, Fair and Johnson were chosen for their performances during the week of Sept. 14 – 20 and were selected out of a pool of conference award winners.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Tray Boone, Dickinson State (N.D.)
Jr., RB, Los Angeles Calif.
- Recorded 340 rushing yards on 35 attempts in a 43-21 win over Presentation (S.D.)
- Set a school record for rushing yards in a game.
- Scored four rushing touchdowns.
- His touchdown rushes consisted of 36 yards, 17 yards, six yards, and game-high 53 yards.
- This is his first career National Offensive Player of the Week award
National Special Teams Player of the Week
DeMario Fair, Valley City State (N.D.)
Jr., RB, Phoenix, Ariz.
- Recorded a 98-yard kickoff return for a touchdown in a 35-13 win against Waldorf (Iowa).
- Finished with two kick returns for 125 yards (62.5 yards per return)
- In addition to his special teams touchdown, Fair also added a 52-yard rushing touchdown.
- Ranks No. 7 in the NAIA in kickoff return yards per attempt (30.2).
- First career National Special Teams Player of the Week award.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Dontaye Johnson, Robert Morris (Ill.)
Jr., LB, Germantown, Md.
- Led Robert Morris to a 30-21 win over then-ranked No. 1 Marian (Ind.) 10.0 tackles.
- Helped hold Marian to 116 rushing yards, nearly 50 yards off their season average (165.7 yards per game).
- Added one interception.
- Ranks No. 37 in the NAIA in Tackles (All positions) per Game (9.3).
- First career National Defensive Player of the Year award.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Offensive Nominees: Javon Taylor, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) ; Adam Craig, Cumberlands (Ky.) ; John Rhode, Saint Xavier (Ill.) ; Cj Collins, SAGU (Texas) ; Dillon Turner, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.) ; Nick Ferrer, Saint Francis (Ind.) ; Jake Curran, Kansas Wesleyan ; Tray Boone, Dickinson State (N.D.) ; Darius Page, Webber International (Fla.) ; Chase White, Rocky Mountain (Mont.)
Defensive Nominees: Dontaye Johnson, Robert Morris (Ill.) ; Shakeem Taylor, SAGU (Texas) ; Ty Peterson, Concordia (Mich.) ; Jacob Gross, Reinhardt (Ga.) ; Brandon Johnson, Grand View (Iowa) ; Byron Benson, Eastern Oregon ; Robert Purvin, Bethel (Kan.) ; Will Tillo, Southeastern (Fla.) ; Tanner Thomas, Doane (Neb.) ; Thomas Sease, Dickinson State (N.D.)
Special Teams Nominees: Cristian Casillas, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) ; Wendall Williams, Cumberlands (Ky.) ; Matt Cotiguala, St. Ambrose (Iowa) ; Eddie Juarez, Sterling (Kan.) ; Connor Niles, Morningside (Iowa) ; Chadd Dearen, SAGU (Texas) ; Tyler Hach, Missouri Baptist ; David Strickland, Point (Ga.) ; DaMario Fair, Valley City State (N.D.) ; Matt Retzlaff, Southern Oregon
2015-16 Football Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Sept. 14)
Offense: Nick Ferrer, Saint Francis (Ind.)
Defense: Caleb Taylor, Faulkner (Ala.)
Special Teams: Daniel Martinez, Wayland Baptist (Texas)
Week 2 (Sept. 21)
Offense: Tray Boone, Dickinson State (N.D.)
Defense: Dontaye Johnson, Robert Morris (Ill.)
Special Teams: DeMario Fair, Valley City State (N.D.)