By Scott Barker, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Sergio Royo of Northwestern Ohio and Marcel Schmid of Madonna (Mich.) have been named the NAIA National Men’s Soccer Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Royo and Schmid were selected for their performances during the week of Wept. 14 – 20 and were selected from a pool of conference and Association of Independent Institutions.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Sergio Royo, Northwestern Ohio
Sr., MF, Madrid, Spain
- Recorded four goals last week, including a hat trick against Bethel (Ind.) in a 3-1 win.
- Scored one goal against Indiana Wesleyan, who ranks No. 8 in the NAIA in total shutouts with four and ranks No. 14 in shutouts per game (0.570).
- Ranks No. 5 in the NAIA in game winning goals per game (0.500).
- Ranks No. 6 in the NAIA in total game winning goals with three.
- This is his first career National Player of the Week award.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Marcel Schmid, Madonna (Mich.)
Jr., GK, Stuttgart, Germany
- Did not allow a goal in three games this week, running his shutout streak to 316 minutes over the last three-plus matches.
- Recorded eight total saves in the three games.
- Ranks No. 5 in the NAIA in goals against per game (0.470).
- Recorded two saves in a game against Rochester (Mich.), who ranks No. 43 in the NAIA in total goals (18)
- This is his second career National Player of the Year award.
Offensive Nominees: Jonathan Ray, Lyon (Ark.) ; Esgardo Arroyo, Montreat (N.C.) ; Mingyu Wee, La Sierra (Calif.) ; Casey Oltman, Oregon Tech ; Jose Garcia, Roosevelt (Ill.) ; Keaton Albert, Indiana Wesleyan ; Humphrey Mahowa, The Master's (Calif.) ; Tyler Jensen, Concordia (Neb.) ; Mackenzie Northern, Culver-Stockton (Mo.) ; Jack Mcgowan, Oklahoma Wesleyan ; Alex Marstiller, Ohio Christian ; Aleksi Pahkasalo, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) ; Tobias Maertzke, Bellevue (Neb.) ; Edrian Negrete, Southwest (N.M.) ; Raphael Bonelle, Mid-America Christian (Okla.) ; Newton Henry, Mobile (Ala.) ; Lyle Gifford, Thomas (Ga.)
Defensive Nominees: Iain Mcturk, Columbia (Mo.) ; Cade Minton, Truett-McConnell (Ga.) ; Jorge Madera, Antelope Valley (Calif.) ; Jordan Farr, Corban (Ore.) ; Miguel David, Purdue Calumet (Ind.) ; Josh Goepper, Indiana Wesleyan ; Kyle Cunningham, The Master's (Calif.) ; Cesar Valverde, Midland (Neb.) ; Amer Didic, Baker (Kan.) ; Caio Ruiz, Oklahoma Wesleyan ; Heitor de Melo, Rio Grande (Ohio) ; Gonzalo Sapena, Campbellsville (Ky.) ; Sam Della Monica, Jamestown (N.D.) ; Jimmy Lara, Southwest (N.M.) ; Palemon Plancarte, Wayland Baptist (Texas) ; Elijah Gibson, Mobile (Ala.) ; Donal Branagan, Thomas (Ga.)
2015-16 Men's Soccer Composite Award Winners (Defensive, Offensive)
Week 1 (Sept. 9): Robbie Barnhill, Grace (Ind.) , Aleksi Pahkasalo, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Week 2 (Sept. 16): Clark Lydon, Marymount (Calif.) , Brent Rodden, Siena Heights (Mich.)
Week 3 (Sept. 23): Marcel Schmid, Madonna (Mich.) , Sergio Royo, Northwestern Ohio