By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – British Columbia is the No. 1 ranked team in the third regular-season edition of the NAIA Women’s Cross Country Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced on Wednesday. The fourth regular-season poll will be released on Oct. 7.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999):
• British Columbia is No. 1 for the third-straight week. The Thunderbirds received 17-of-20 possible first-place votes for a total of 554 points dropping just one point from last week’s poll. Northwest Christian (Ore.) is No. 2 again with 543 points.
• No. 25 Trinity Christian (Ill.) moved into the Top 25 for the first time in since Aug. 22, 2012 (No.19).
• No. 11 Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) has the most consecutive weeks in the Top 25 poll with 94 weeks dating back to Sept. 2001.
• Seven teams have managed to stay in the top 10 throughout the season including: No. 1 Biola (Calif.).
• Only one team dropped out of the Top 25 this week, No. 32 St. Ambrose (Iowa) (No. 25.).
• British Columbia makes its 24th all-time appearance in the No. 1 spot.
• The Cascade Collegiate Conference has the most schools appearing in the Top 25 Poll: No. 10 College of Idaho, No. 2 Northwest Christian (Ore.), No. 20 Oregon Tech and No. 16 Southern Oregon.
• Concordia (Neb.) jumped two spots in the Top 25 starting at No. 20 and reaching No. 18.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2015 Women’s Cross Country Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – No. 3 (Sept. 30)
|RANK||LAST||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||FINAL POINTS|
|1||1||British Columbia (17)||554|
|2||2||Northwest Christian (Ore.) (2)||543|
|5||6||Biola (Calif.) (1)||489|
|7||8||The Master’s (Calif.)||436|
|10||10||College of Idaho||400|
|11||10||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||387|
|13||13||Shawnee State (Ohio)||340|
|14||14||St. Francis (Ill.)||337|
|15||15||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||311|
|24||23||Siena Heights (Mich.)||153|
|25||RV||Trinity Christian (Ill.)||109|
Dropped from the Top 25: No. 25 St. Ambrose (Iowa)
Others receiving votes: Cornerstone (Mich.) 102; Morningside (Iowa) 91; Texas Wesleyan 66; SCAD Atlanta (Ga.) 47; SCAD Savannah (Ga.) 29; Mount Mercy (Iowa) 19; Our Lady of the Lake (Texas) 18; St. Ambrose (Iowa) 18; Hastings (Neb.) 8; Grace (Ind.) 4; Friends (Kan.) 4; Great Falls (Mont.) 3.
^Based off Coaches’ Poll from Sept. 23, 2015