KANSAS CITY, Mo. – (Selection Show – LINK) For the second-consecutive week, Morningside (Iowa) owns the No. 1 ranking in the NAIA Football Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Sunday. The ranking also makes the Mustangs the top seed for the 2015 NAIA Football Championship Series, which opens with first round play on Saturday, Nov. 21. The postseason installment will be released on Monday, Dec. 21.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 1999)
• Morningside earns its 20th all-time No. 1 ranking with 14 first-place votes and 340 total points in the final regular-season edition.
• The Mustangs won the Great Plains Athletic Conference (GPAC) championship for the fifth-straight season with a dominant 55-7 win against then-No. 4 Doane (Neb.) last Saturday.
• Morningside holds the longest active streak of top 10 rankings, having been listed among the top 10 teams for 59-straight polls dating back to Sept. 19, 2011.
• No. 2 Baker (Kan.) and No. 3 Grand View (Iowa) round out the top three for a second-straight edition.
• No. 4 Saint Francis (Ind.) is the only remaining unbeaten team in NAIA football at 9-0.
• Each of the top five teams – Morningside, Baker, Grand View, Saint Francis and No. 5 Montana Tech – won their respective league championships.
• No. 18 St. Francis (Ill.), who claimed a share of the Mid-States Football Association Mideast League title with a win on Saturday, highlight the positive movement in the poll, jumping four places.
• No. 9 Doane (Neb.), No. 15 Montana Western and No. 21 Benedictine (Kan.) each fell five spots, marking the largest negative movement for teams still ranked within the Top 25. All three clubs lost on Saturday.
• No. 25 Georgetown (Ky.) is the lone newcomer this week. The Tigers, who opened the season with four-straight losses, won six in-a-row to end the year and claim the Mid-South Conference East Division for the first time since 2012. Georgetown was lasted ranked in the 2015 preseason edition.
• Four teams have held the No. 1 ranking this season – Lindsey Wilson, Marian (Ind.), Morningside and Southern Oregon.
• The Mid-South Conference West Division leads all leagues with four teams represented – No. 11 Campbellsville (Ky.), No. 12 Reinhardt (Ga.), No. 13 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) and No. 23 (tied) Faulkner (Ala.).
• The Frontier Conference, GPAC, Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference and Mid-States Football Association Mideast League all have two teams ranked in the top 10.
• All conferences are represented in the poll.
• Forty-one different teams have been ranked in 2015.
• Carroll owns the most top-billings with 58, followed by former member Sioux Falls (55), Georgetown (Ky.) (25), Morningside (20) and Saint Xavier (Ill.) (14).
• On Oct. 26, Carroll had its active streak of 187-consecutive Top 25 rankings ended, as the Saints dropped out of the poll. Carroll is 4-5 on the year. The Saints were last unranked on Oct. 31, 2000.
• Morningside owns the active lead with 110-straight Top 25 mentions, followed by Saint Xavier with 99-consecutive.
• Missouri Valley had its streak of 118-consecutive Top 25 mentions snapped on Sept. 28.
• For more information on NAIA football, click here.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences.
• Each conference is given one rater for every four schools in the league.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 25 points for each first-place vote, 24 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low rating) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appear on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered “receiving votes.”
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
|RANK||LAST TIME^||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||2015 RECORD||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||1||Morningside (Iowa) (14)||10-1||340|
|3||3||Grand View (Iowa)||10-1||312|
|4||5||Saint Francis (Ind.) (1)||9-0||305|
|13||14||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||8-2||178|
|14||15||Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.)||9-2||166|
|16||17||Saint Xavier (Ill.)||7-3||150|
|T18||22||St. Francis (Ill.)||8-3||108|
|T18||21||Dickinson State (N.D.)||8-2||108|
|20||23||St. Ambrose (Iowa)||8-2||100|
|T23||19||William Penn (Iowa)||7-4||38|
Dropped from the Top 25: Robert Morris (Ill.) (No. 20)
Others Receiving Votes: Robert Morris (Ill.) 12; Sterling (Kan.) 10; Cumberlands (Ky.) 10; Concordia (Neb.) 3; Peru State (Neb.) 3.
^ Top 25 ranking from Nov. 9, 2015 Top 25 Poll