By Chad Waller, Director of Communications and Sports Information
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Xavielle Brown of Park (Mo.) has been named the NAIA National Division I Men’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. This honor, which captures statistics from Dec. 28 – Jan. 3, is the first edition of the 2015-16 season.
National Player of the Week
Xavielle Brown, Park (Mo.)
6-2, Jr., F, Fort Wayne, Ind.
• Lifted the Pirates to two victories last week, including a road overtime win at Missouri Baptist on Dec. 31.
• In two contests, averaged 31.0 points, 8.5 rebounds, 2.0 steals and shot 45.7 percent (16-of-35) from the field.
• In the 93-87 win over Missouri Baptist, Brown hit both the game-tying 3-pointer in regulation and a triple that put the Pirates ahead for good in overtime. He finished with 30 points and seven boards.
• Established career highs in free throws made (17) and attempted (19) in an 82-79 home win against William Woods (Mo.) on Jan. 2.
• Posted 32 points and 10 rebounds for his fifth double-double of the year on Jan. 2.
• Has now scored 10-plus points in all 12 games this season, including three efforts over 30 points.
• Ranks No. 3 in the NAIA in scoring (25.7) and 34th in rebounding (8.1).
• This marks the first national weekly honor in Brown’s career.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Manny Martin, LSU Shreveport (La.); Quintarius Porter, Tougaloo (Miss.); Shyke Smalls, Montana Western; Dmitry Utolin, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Raviel Burton, Missouri Valley; Dominic Early, Coastal Georgia; Terence Bonhomme, Oklahoma City; Jaamon Echols, Vanguard (Calif.).
2015-16 Division I Men's Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 5): Xavielle Brown, Park (Mo.)