KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Aundrea Matchen of Pikeville (Ky.) has been named the NAIA National Division I Women’s Basketball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. This honor, which encompasses performances from Jan. 4 – 10, is chosen out of a pool of conference player of the week selections.
National Player of the Week
Aundrea Matchen, Pikeville (Ky.)
5-7, So., G, Louisville, Ky.
• Averaged 22.5 points and eight rebounds to led the Bears to back-to-back wins against ranked opponents.
• Led the team with 23 points, while adding six rebounds and two assists in Pikeville’s 64-58 win against then-No. 25 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) on Jan. 7.
• Two days later, Matchen tallied her second double-double on the year with 22 points and 10 rebounds, as Pikeville downed then-No. 18 Cumberland (Tenn.), 73-70.
• Ended the week shooting 43.9 percent (18-for-41) from the field and 63.6 percent (7-for-11) at the charity stripe. Six of her seven made free throws came in the aforementioned win against Cumberland.
• Leads the team and ranks seventh nationally in total scoring with 285 points this season.
• The Bears (16-0) are one of two remaining unbeaten teams in NAIA Division I Women’s Basketball.
• First career national Player of the Week award.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Jasmine Webb, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.); Ariel Clay, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Jatoria Carter, Auburn Montgomery (Ala.); Shaelynn Moore, Dillard (La.); Caelyn Orlandi, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Latice Butler, Park (Mo.); Daniela Wallen, Oklahoma City; Melissa Norman, Vanguard (Calif.).
2015-16 Division I Women’s Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Jan. 5): Sarai Rodriguez, Mid-America Christian (Okla.)
Week 2 (Jan. 12): Aundrea Matchen, Pikeville (Ky.)