By Colbi Howser, Communications and Sports Communications Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) takes control of the No. 1 position in the second edition of the 2015-16 NAIA Men’s Swimming & Diving Coaches’ Poll, the national office announced Thursday. This is the first No. 1 ranking for the Tigers.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2002-03):
• No. 1 Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) captured three of the five first-place votes and a total of 60 points to excel over previous No. 1 SCAD Savannah (Ga.). The Tigers are 5-1 overall in dual meets.
• After not seeing competition since Nov. 21, Olivet Nazarene picked up dual meet wins over NCAA Division II opponent Lewis (Ill.) and NCAA Division III University of Chicago with help from eight first-place finishes and a sweep in the 500-yard freestyle.
• No. 2 SCAD Savannah barely missed the No. 1 position, grabbing two of the five first-place votes and 59 total points.
• In their most recent meet, the Bees won five individual events with help from Junior Joel Ax, who grabbed three of the five. The five wins were not enough, as the Bees fell to NCAA Division I Gardner-Webb (S.C.).
• No. 3 West Virginia Tech makes a splash in the Top 10 with a 4-1 overall dual record beating ranked teams like, No. 4 Cumberlands (Ky.) and No. 4 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.). In its most recent event at the Zippy Invite on Dec. 4, the team shattered five individual records and two relay records. The Golden Bears finished sixth out of seven teams.
• Top 10 team ratings will be compiled and voted on by the ratings committee and sent to the NAIA Sports Information Department by a Presidential committee.
• Top 10 team ratings are conducted by a committee of NAIA Swimming and Diving coaches three times during the season.
• The committee will use the most current “top times” as the primary source of ranking.
2015-16 NAIA Men’s Swimming & Diving Coaches Poll
|RANK||LAST TIME^||SCHOOL (1st Place Votes)||Total Points|
|1||2||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) (3)||60|
|2||1||SCAD Savannah (2)||59|
|3||3||West Virginia Tech||44|
|6||5||Wayland Baptist (Texas)||33|
|7||8||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||22|
|8||7||St. Andrews (N.C.)||15|
|T10||NR||College of Idaho||5|