2016 NAIA Women's Volleyball Players of the Week – No. 2 (Sept. 13)
By Nikki Sherrill, Communications & Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Through the last week of play, three players have been selected as National Players of the Week for NAIA volleyball. Taylor Holz of Bellevue (Neb.) has been named Defender of the Week, Park’s (Mo.) Wendy Romero is the Attacker of the Week, and the Setter of the Week is Maddie Squiers from Bellevue. These three were selected based on their performances from Sept. 5-11 and were chosen out of a pool of conference player of the week selections.
National Attacker of the Week
Wendy Romero, Park (Mo.)
Sr., OH, Cojedes, San Carlos, Venezuela
• Earned double-doubles in two matches against No. 8 MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) where she had 31 kills and 11 digs, and Ottawa with 29 kills and 18 digs.
• Had three matches with multiple aces including four against Baker (Kan.), five against Graceland (Iowa) and three against No. 18 Oklahoma City.
• Totaled 108 kills, two assists, 44 digs and 13 aces in five games.
• Ranks No. 1 in the NAIA in total kills (262), No. 2 in kills per match (5.5) and No. 13 in total service aces (30).
• Second National Player of the Week honor (Sept. 16, 2014).
National Defender of the Week
Taylor Holz, Bellevue (Neb.)
Jr., DS, Omaha, Neb.
• While helping her team to a 4-0 week, Holz averaged 6.79 digs per set and added four service aces.
• Recorded 95 total digs and is only four away from 1,500 total career digs.
• In four matches played, had 95 digs, four aces and a service reception of 0.97 percent.
• Ranks No. 9 nationally in total digs (282) in the NAIA.
• This is the first National Player of the Week honor for Holz.
National Setter of the Week
Maddie Squiers, Bellevue (Neb.)
Fr., S, Kearney, Neb.
• In a 4-0 week, Squiers tallied 170 assists to average 12. 14 per set.
• Averaged an attack percentage of 0.28 in four matches and 30 total digs.
• Ranks No. 1 nationally in total assists (671) and No. 14 in assists per game (10.65).
• In only her freshman season, this is her first National Player of the Week honor.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week Calendar, click here.
Attacker: Marissa Langford, Milligan (Tenn.); Sydney Rucker, Pacific Union (Calif.); Mattie Jo Johnson, Northwest (Wash.); Courtney Joyce, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Annelise Rohrer, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Maya Kiruluta, Great Falls (Mont.); Juanae Johnson, Vanguard (Calif.); Lauren Tadlock, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Adili Rikondja, Xavier (La.); Gisele Silva, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.); Janaya Fox, Ottawa (Kan.); Annija Abolina, Campbellsville (Ky.); Natalie Geidel, Viterbo (Wis.); Shelby Bartley, Southwest (N.M.); Natalie Jones, Brescia (Ky.); Manon Soraru, Oklahoma City; Eloisa Sales, Bethel (Tenn.); Adrienne Czaplewski, Warner (Fla.); Kendra Zwart, Cornerstone (Mich.)
Defender: Jessica Jensen, William Woods (Mo.); Grace Ann Moorhouse, Milligan (Tenn.); Audrey Uyemura, Pacific Union (Calif.); Leia Roy, Northwest (Wash.); Leah Alles, St. Francis (Ill.); Ashley Gingerich, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Madison Wilhelm, Great Falls (Mont.); Tess Van Grouw, Biola (Calif.); Jocelyn Garcia, Concordia (Neb.); Demetria Horton, Dillard (La.); Ashley Miller, William Penn (Iowa); Ali Jost, Tabor (Kan.); Courtney Grafton, Georgetown (Ky.); Kristin Silva, Southwest (N.M.); Rhiannon Ungerer, Brescia (Ky.); Rossanna Ramos, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Julianne Wilkes, Faulkner (Ala.); Michelle Calderon, Webber International (Fla.); Taylor Kelso, Indiana Tech
Setter: Megan Huffman, Missouri Baptist; Kellee Geren, Milligan (Tenn.); Athena Abary, Pacific Union (Calif.); Rachelle Chamberlain, Eastern Oregon; Ellie Adamson, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Haley Harrell, Taylor (Ind.); Bree Davis, Great Falls (Mont.); Jessica Williams, William Jessup (Calif.); Jamie Gesink, Dordt (Iowa); Tiffany Phillips, Xavier (La.); Rachel Kater, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.); Mikaela Wells, Sterling (Kan.); Inoa Fields, Campbellsville (Ky.); Brenda Pargas, Southwest (N.M.); Shelby Buschkoetter, Brescia (Ky.); Alyssa Arnold, John Brown (Ark.); Cayley Meiners, Coastal Georgia; Carlee Baxter, Webber International (Fla.); Lauren Korth, Madonna (Mich.)
2016 NAIA Volleyball Players of the Week (Complete Schedule)
Week 1 (Sept. 6): Attacker, Priscilla O’Dowd, Midland (Neb.); Defender, Nicole Warren, Jamestown (N.D.); Setter, Meghan Birr, Lourdes (Ohio).
Week 2 (Sept. 13): Attacker, Wendy Romero, Park (Mo.); Defender, Taylor Holz, Bellevue (Neb.); Setter, Maddie Squiers, Bellevue (Neb.)