NAIA Football Players of the Week - No. 2
By Nikki Sherrill, Communications & Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, MO. – Cedrick Phillips of Sterling (Kan.) has been named the National Offensive Player of the Week, Nate Moore of College of Idaho is this week’s Defensive Player of the week and Hastings’ (Neb.) Nick Giaffoglione was selected as the Special Teams Player of the Week, the national office announced Monday. These athletes were chosen for their performances during the week of Sept. 12 – 18 and were selected out of a pool of conference winners.
National Offensive Player of the Week
Cedrick Phillips, Sterling (Kan.)
So., QB, Stockton, Calif.
- In a win against No. 10 Kansas Wesleyan, Phillips had four touchdowns to help Sterling to a 43-12 win. This ties his game-high for touchdowns.
- Finished the game with 129-yards rushing and 203-throwing yards.
- Completed 18-of-26 passes with no interceptions.
- Phillips opened up the game with an 85-yard running touchdown to go up 6-0 quickly.
- Ranks No. 7 nationally in total offense yards per game (318) and No. 16 in scoring per game (9.0).
- This is the first Player of the Week honor for Phillips.
National Special Teams Player of the Week
Nick Giaffoglione, Hastings (Neb.)
Sr., K, Omaha, Neb.
- In the third quarter, Giaffoglione hit a 40-yard field goal to bring Hastings within one at 28-27. Then, in the fourth quarter, he hit a 43-yard field goal to extend the Bronco lead to 10 and ultimately help them to a 44-34 win over Jamestown (N.D.).
- Was a perfect 3-of-3 on field goals in the game and 5-of-5 in PATs.
- This season, he is a perfect 15-of-15 on extra points and 3-of-3 in field goals.
- Ranks No. 1 nationally in field goal percentage (1.0) and PAT kicking percentage (1.0).
- This is Giaffoglione's first National Player of the Week.
National Defensive Player of the Week
Nate Moore, College of Idaho
Sr, S, Meridian, Idaho
- Set school record with 16 tackles in road win at No. 10 Eastern Oregon.
- Had seven solo tackles and a sack on a fourth-down play to help College of Idaho to a 20-7 win.
- Broke up two passes from Eastern Oregon's quarterback and assisted in nine tackles.
- Leads College of Idaho in tackles on the season. Ranks No. 25 nationally in tackles per game (10.0) and No. 40 in total interceptions (1.0).
- First career Defensive Player of the Week award for Moore.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For a complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Offensive Nominees: Trey White, Marian (Ind.); Mitchell Parsley, Wayland Baptist (Texas): Brad Connor, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Jack Shadley, Doane (Neb.); Patrick Logue, Webber International (Fla.); Dylan Beasley, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Robert Johnson, Dakota State (S.D.); Jamar Kirksey, Pikeville (Ky.); Jack Singler, Southern Oregon; Cornell Brown, Baker (Kan.).
Defensive Nominees: Kaleb Pohlman, Concordia (Mich.); Xavier Story, Lyon (Ark.); Maurice Payne, Tabor (Kan.); Banton Price, Faulkner (Ala.); Mitch Negangard, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Tariq Mustafaa, Doane (Neb.); Dequan Harvin, Webber International (Fla.); Cole Potter, Dakota State (S.D.); Tyler Thrasher, Benedictine (Kan.); Jack Hopkins, Pikeville (Ky.).
Special Teams Nominees: Jakhari Gore, Marian (Ind.); Lexus Jackson, St. Francis (Ill.); Daniel Martinez, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Gabe Hoins, Peru State (Neb.); Griff Amies, Rocky Mountain (Mont.); Jared Slavens, Tabor (Kan.); Matthew Alter, Cumberland (Tenn.); Desi Villanueva, Webber International (Fla.); Joe Rose, Cumberlands (Ky.).
2016 NAIA Football Players of the Week
Week 1 (Sept. 12)
Offense: Jacob Giles, Dakota State (S.D.)
Defense: Jeff Branch, Presentation (S.D.)
Special Teams: Andres Burgoin, Doane (Neb.)
Week 2 (Sept. 19)
Offense: Cedrick Phillips, Sterling (Kan.)
Defense: Nate Moore, College of Idaho
Special Teams: Nick Giaffoglione, Hastings (Neb.)