By Nikki Sherrill, Communications & Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Three players have been named NAIA National Volleyball Players of the Week. Kendra Johnson of Montreat (N.C.) is the National Defender of the Week, Peiyi Lui of Columbia (Mo.) was selected as the National Attacker of the Week and Amelia Grahn of Viterbo (Wis.) is the National Setter of the Week. These three were selected based on their performances from Sept. 12-18 and were chosen out of a pool of conference player of the week selections.
National Attacker of the Week
Peiyi Liu, Columbia (Mo.)
Jr., RS, Nanjing, China
• Had two double-doubles last week with 26 kills and 22 digs against Saint Xavier (Ill.) and 21 kills and 12 digs against Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)
• Totaled 77 kills and 45 digs last week while her team went 3-1 with its only loss coming to No. 5 Viterbo (Wis.).
• Earned career-highs in two categories in a win against Saint Xavier with 22 digs and 26 kills.
• Ranks No. 9 nationally in kills per set (4.2) and No. 10 in hitting percentage (0.400).
• This is Liu's fourth National Player of the Week honor. She was also 2015's NAIA/AVCA National Player of the Year.
National Defender of the Week
Kendra Johnson, Montreat (N.C.)
Jr., DS, Ararat, N.C.
• Johnson had a record-setting week when she recorded 60 digs in a five-set win over Reinhardt (Ga.). This broke the record for not only Montreat, but also the record for the Appalachian Athletic Conference for digs in a match.
• This effort also placed Johnson on the NAIA all-time single match list at No. 6 and is the most amount of digs in a match so far this season.
• In three matches played, Johnson had 122 total digs and three aces to help her team to a 2-1 week.
• Ranks No. 14 nationally in total digs (315) and No. 16 in digs per game (5.7).
• This is the first National Player of the Week honor for Johnson.
National Setter of the Week
Amelia Grahn, Viterbo (Wis.)
Jr., S, Madison, Wis.
• Grahn totaled 40 assists in a 3-1 win over UW-La Crosse, which was ranked No. 18 in NCAA DIII.
• Recorded 157 assists with 9.8 per set, 37 digs, 16 kills and five blocks last week with her team going 5-0.
• In a 3-0 win against No. 9 Grand View (Iowa), Grahn had 33 assists to go along with five kills and eight digs.
• Ranks No. 10 nationally in total assists (621) and No. 28 in assists per game (9.9).
• This is Grahn's first National Player of the Week honor.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week Calendar, click here.
Attacker: Emily Howard, Montreat (N.C.); Kiana Krumm, La Sierra (Calif.); Emma Gasman, Southern Oregon; Sierra Conklin, Indiana South Bend; Audrey Mallers, Huntington (Ind.); Stephanie Ovtiz, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Katie Landazuri, Hope International (Calif.); Priscilla O'dowd, Midland (Neb.); Corneisja Harrison, Dillard (La.); Kelsey Redmond, Grand View (Iowa); Caitlin Doran, Ottawa (Kan.); Jennifer Philpot, Cumberlands (Ky.); Natalie Geidel, Viterbo (Wis.); Laycia Robinson, Huston-Tillotson (Texas); Natalie Jones, Brescia (Ky.); Marijana Bjelobrk, Oklahoma City; Eloisa Sales, Bethel (Tenn.); Samantha Thompson, Keiser (Fla.); Heather Green, Cornerstone (Mich.)
Defender: Aneisha Ford, Park (Mo.); Courtney Pitts, Benedictine Mesa (Ariz.); Leia Roy, Northwest (Wash.); Leah Alles, St. Francis (Ill.); Banner Rodgers, Indiana Wesleyan; Rachel Gregg, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Shea Beeman, Hope International (Calif.); Jocelyn Garcia, Concordia (Neb.); Kayla Cole, Tougaloo (Miss.); Cristina Viera, Peru State (Neb.); Allyssa Koki, Saint Mary (Kan.); Jessie Pendleton, Campbellsville (Ky.); Jaycee George, Valley City State (N.D.); Candace Grosjean, St. Thomas (Texas); Morgan Dangelo, Point Park (Pa.); Rossanna Ramos, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Julianne Wilkes, Faulkner (Ala.); Kendra Zwart, Cornerstone (Mich.)
Setter: Megan Huffman, Missouri Baptist; Kellee Geren, Milligan (Tenn.); Hannah Mercurio, Embry-Riddle (Ariz.); Rachelle Chamberlain, Eastern Oregon; Ellie Adamson, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Haley Harrell, Taylor (Ind.); Bree Davis, Great Falls (Mont.); Jessica Zieg, Hope International (Calif.); Alayna Kavanaugh, Concordia (Neb.); Ma-Kayla Johnson, Dillard (La.); Chrissy Daggett, Grand View (Iowa); Adriana Skipper, Ottawa (Kan.); Sarah Bell, Georgetown (Ky.); Lauren Fernandez-Miller, St. Thomas (Texas); Emily Meng, Point Park (Pa.); Sophia Ivy, SAGU (Texas); Cayley Meiners, Coastal Georgia; Nicole Papineau, Keiser (Fla.); Hope Leppink, Cornerstone (Mich.)
2016 NAIA Volleyball Players of the Week (Complete Schedule)
Week 1 (Sept. 6): Attacker, Priscilla O’Dowd, Midland (Neb.); Defender, Nicole Warren, Jamestown (N.D.); Setter, Meghan Birr, Lourdes (Ohio).
Week 2 (Sept. 13): Attacker, Wendy Romero, Park (Mo.); Defender, Taylor Holz, Bellevue (Neb.); Setter, Maddie Squiers, Bellevue (Neb.)
Week 3 (Sept. 20): Attacker, Peiyi Liu, Columbia (Mo.); Defender, Kendra Johnson, Montreat (N.C.); Setter, Amelia Grahn, Viterbo (Wis.).