2016 NAIA Women's Volleyball Player of the Week - No. 4 (Sept. 27)
By Nikki Sherrill, Communications & Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Three players have been named NAIA National Volleyball Players of the Week. Nora Darrhar of St. Andrews (N.C.) is the National Defender of the Week, Wendy Romero of Park (Mo.) was selected as the National Attacker of the Week and Sarah Bell of Georgetown (Ky.) is the National Setter of the Week. These three were selected based on their performances from Sept. 19-25 and were chosen out of a pool of conference player of the week selections.
National Attacker of the Week
Wendy Romero, Park (Mo.)
Sr., OH, Cojedes, San Carlos, Venezuela
• Hit nearly .900 against Central Baptist (Ark.) with 16 kills and one ace.
• Totaled 34 kills on the week in two American Midwest Conference matches. Recorded five aces on the week with four in one match.
• Against Freed-Hardeman (Tenn.), Romero earned a double-double with 18 kills and 10 digs, as well as recorded five of her six blocks on the week.
• Ranks No. 2 nationally in kills per match (5.4.) and No. 3 in total kills (321).
• This is Romero's third National Player of the Week honor and her second this season.
National Defender of the Week
Nora Darrhar, St. Andrews (N.C.)
Sr., L, Rabat, Morocco
• Had a career-high 28 digs in a 3-0 win over Tennessee Wesleyan. Totaled 77 digs on the week to help her team go 3-0.
• Assisted in four points and earned three kills.
• Recorded 10 aces with six against Montreat (N.C.), setting a new career-high.
• Ranks No. 17 nationally in digs per match (5.7) and leads her team with 313 total digs.
• This is the first National Player of the Week honor for Darrhar.
National Setter of the Week
Sarah Bell, Georgetown (Ky.)
So., S, Mt. Washington, Ky.
• Surpassed her previous career-high of 44 assists by totaling 58 in a win over then No. 2 Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
• Earned a double-double in the win with 17 digs to go with her 58 assists, as well as three block assists and two kills.
• In an earlier week match against Shawnee State (Ohio), Bell had 43 assists, five digs, one ace and one kill to help Georgetown to a sweep.
• Ranks No. 9 nationally in assists per game (10.9) and leads her team in assists.
• This is Bell's first National Player of the Week honor.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week Calendar, click here.
Attacker: Marissa Langford, Milligan (Tenn.); Marissa Kyman, Benedictine Mesa (Ariz.); Emma Gasman, Southern Oregon; Kacie Stoll, Trinity Christian (Ill.); Alyson Near, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Paige Montgomery, Carroll (Mont.); Allison Child, The Master's (Calif.); Kaitlin Bradley, Doane (Neb.); Nadja Janjevic, Peru State (Neb.); Janaya Fox, Ottawa (Kan.); Caroline Ricks, Georgetown (Ky.); Shayla Scanlan, Bellevue (Neb.); Shelby Bartley, Southwest (N.M.); Lindi Thomas, IU Kokomo; Ashlyn Broussard, St. Gregory's (Okla.); Eloisa Sales, Bethel (Tenn.); Adrienne Czaplewski, Warner (Fla.); Amanda Hawkins, Madonna (Mich.)
Defender: Natalie Gremaud, Missouri Baptist; Emily Morgan, La Sierra (Calif.); Haley Wells, Corban (Ore.); Michelle Busscher, Trinity Christian (Ill.); Ashley Gingerich, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Tess Hellerud, Rocky Mountain (Mont.); Kami Troesh, Westmont (Calif.); Erin Warren, Doane (Neb.); Allie Dunton-moss, Evangel (Mo.); Jordan Halsey, Ottawa (Kan.); Jessie Pendleton, Campbellsville (Ky.); Haley Glasoe, Jamestown (N.D.); Candace Grosjean, St. Thomas (Texas); Natalie Keene, Indiana Southeast; Rossanna Ramos, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Jessica Bagwell, Mobile (Ala.); Michelle Calderon, Webber International (Fla.); Taylor Kelso, Indiana Tech
Setter: Sashiko Heredia, Columbia (Mo.); Corey Altizer, St. Andrews (N.C.); Jade De La Rosa, Benedictine Mesa (Ariz.); Madison Mclain, Corban (Ore.); Tori Mantel, Trinity Christian (Ill.); Taylor Baird, Grace (Ind.); Jonni Dorr, Carroll (Mont.); Kayla Sims, The Master's (Calif.); Alex Neff, Doane (Neb.); Maja Krstonosic, Missouri Valley; Adriana Skipper, Ottawa (Kan.); Maddie Squiers, Bellevue (Neb.); Brenda Pargas, Southwest (N.M.); Hannah Barker, Indiana Southeast; Sanja Vojnovic, Oklahoma City; Kaylee Ginnings, Bethel (Tenn.); Kiara Rivera-escudero, Warner (Fla.); Hope Leppink, Cornerstone (Mich.)
2016 NAIA Volleyball Players of the Week (Complete Schedule)
Week 1 (Sept. 6): Attacker, Priscilla O’Dowd, Midland (Neb.); Defender, Nicole Warren, Jamestown (N.D.); Setter, Meghan Birr, Lourdes (Ohio).
Week 2 (Sept. 13): Attacker, Wendy Romero, Park (Mo.); Defender, Taylor Holz, Bellevue (Neb.); Setter, Maddie Squiers, Bellevue (Neb.)
Week 3 (Sept. 20): Attacker, Peiyi Liu, Columbia (Mo.); Defender, Kendra Johnson, Montreat (N.C.); Setter, Amelia Grahn, Viterbo (Wis.).
Week 4 (Sept. 27): Attacker, Wendy Romero, Park (Mo.); Defender, Nora Darrhar, St. Andrews (N.C.); Setter, Sarah Bell, Georgetown (Ky.)