2016 Menís Soccer Modified RPI Ė No. 2 (Oct. 19)
By Chad Waller, Director of Communications and Sports Information
KANSAS CITY, Mo. — (Complete MRPI list) For the second-straight time, Oklahoma Wesleyan lands the No. 1 position in the second regular-season edition of the 2016 NAIA Men's Soccer Modified Ratings Percentage Index (MRPI). The third and final MRPI will be announced on Monday, Nov. 14.
MRPI Highlights (historical information dates back to 2010):
• Oklahoma Wesleyan claims its second-straight MRPI No. 1 ranking. The Eagles have also been the top-ranked team in each of the last five NAIA Men’s Soccer Coaches’ Top 25 Polls.
• With its second top position, the Eagles become the fifth different program since the inception of the MRPI in 2010 to hold multiple No. 1 MRPI rankings.
• Oklahoma Wesleyan becomes the first team since Rio Grande (Ohio) in 2014 to hold back-to-back No. 1 rankings.
• The Eagles currently boast a 28-match (26-0-2) undefeated streak, which is tied for the seventh all-time longest mark in NAIA history.
• Rounding out the top five is No. 2 Hastings (Neb.), No. 3 Rio Grande (Ohio), No. 4 Northwestern Ohio and No. 5 Davenport (Mich.). These are the same ranked teams Nos. 2 – 5 from the first MRPI edition, with the only change of Northwestern Ohio and Davenport switching places.
• No. 14 Vanguard (Calif.) is the highest mentioned team in the MRPI that was not ranked in the most recent Coaches’ Top 25 Poll from Oct. 18.
• Rio Grande holds the most all-time top mentions in the MRPI (seven) out of any NAIA program.
• Since 2010, the following teams have held the No. 1 position in a MRPI poll: Rio Grande (7), Hastings (3), Lindsey Wilson (Ky.) (2), Oklahoma Wesleyan (2), former member Simon Fraser (B.C.) (2), former member Auburn Montgomery (Ala.) (1), Davenport (1), Grand View (Iowa) (1), Mobile (Ala.) (1) and Vanguard (Calif.) (1).
• Rio Grande is the only team to earn a Top 30 position in each of the 20 MRPI rankings since it was introduced in 2010. Lindsey Wilson had its streak snapped at 18-straight Top 30 mentions in the Sept. 28th edition.
• For the complete MRPI, click here.
• The Men’s Soccer Modified Ratings Percentage Index (MRPI)—first adopted in 2010—will select the at-large qualifying teams and seed the 32-team national championship opening round field. For a MRPI calendar, click here.
• The final MRPI, used to select the at-large teams, will occur on Monday, Nov. 14.
• The MRPI consists of the team’s modified winning percentage, their opponents’ winning percentage and the cumulative ratings points from the NAIA Men’s Soccer Coaches’ Top 25 Poll. Each of the three values has a weighted percentage calculated in the MRPI. The MRPI modifies the value of home/away/neutral results and adds more value for games against opponents ranked in their respective national poll.
• For a complete description of the MRPI formula, go to Appendix B (page 33) in the Soccer Coaches’ Manual, or click here.
2016 Men’s Soccer Modified Ratings Percentage Index (MRPI) – No. 2 (Oct. 19)
|3||Rio Grande (Ohio)||0.857364|
|8||MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)||0.746074|
|11||WVU Tech (W.Va.)||0.733419|
|13||John Brown (Ark.)||0.669303|
|17||William Carey (Miss.)||0.636248|
|19||Grand View (Iowa)||0.618097|
|21||Southwestern Christian (Okla.)||0.558401|
|22||Hope International (Calif.)||0.556741|
|23||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)||0.556043|
|26||Spring Arbor (Mich.)||0.531821|