2016 Men’s Cross Country Coaches’ Top 25 Poll – Poll 4 (Oct. 26)
By Spencer Scheve, Communications & Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo – British Columbia remains with the No. 1 ranking in the 2016 NAIA Men’s Cross Country Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the NAIA national office announced Wednesday. The final Coaches’ Top 25 Poll will be released by 7 p.m. CDT on Sunday, Nov. 6. NAIA National Championship qualifiers will be released by 5 p.m. CDT on Monday, Nov. 7.
Top 25 highlights (historical information dates back to 2001):
• British Columbia remains the No. 1-ranked team in the Top 25 Poll, garnering 19 first-place votes and 560 points.
• This is the Thunderbirds third-straight No. 1 ranking and most in British Columbia history.
• Coming in at No. 2 is St. Francis (Ill.), which earned one first-place vote and 539 points. The Saints have been active in the top five for the last 15 polls.
• Rounding out the top five is Southern Oregon at No. 3 with 527 points, Marian (Ind.) at No. 4 with 497 points and Biola (Calif.) at No. 5 with 491 points.
• There is one new team in the top 10 – No. 10 Shawnee State (Ohio).
•The biggest moves in the Top 25 is Taylor (Ind.) falling from No. 8 to No. 23, Shawnee State climbing from No. 24 to No. 10 and Lewis-Clark State (Idaho) dropping from No. 17 to No. 22.
• The Cascade Collegiate Conference leads the NAIA with four teams in the Top 25 – Southern Oregon, No. 7 College of Idaho, No. 15 Eastern Oregon and No. 25 Oregon Tech.
• There are four conferences tied for second most schools in the Top 25 -- Golden State Athletic Conference, Crossroads League, Sooner Athletic Conference and the Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference tied at three.
• No. 18 Aquinas (Mich.) extends its streak of being in the Top 25 poll to an NAIA-best 160-consecutive mentions, dating back to Aug. 22, 2000.
• Only three programs have gone the entire season ranked No. 1 – Oklahoma City (2014), former NAIA member Malone (Ohio) (2008) and former NAIA member Lindenwood (Mo.) (2007).
• There are two new teams in the Top 25 –No. 14 Bethel (Ind.) and No. 24 Wayland Baptist (Texas).
• The last time Bethel was ranked was Sept. 28, when the Pilots were ranked No. 22.
• The last time Wayland Baptist was ranked was Aug. 24, when the Pioneers were ranked No. 25 in the preseason poll.
• The poll was voted upon by a panel of head coaches representing each of the conferences and the Association of Independent Institutions.
• The Top 25 is determined by a points system based on how each voter ranks the best teams. A team receives 30 points for each first-place vote, 29 for second-place and so on through the list.
• The highest and lowest ranking for each team (a non-rating is considered a low ratings) is removed and the team’s ranking will be recalculated with an additional point added to each team for every ballot (including discounted ballots) that the teams appears on.
• Teams that receive only one point in the ballot are not considered "receiving votes"
• The frequency of polls occur bi-weekly for the 2016 season.
• For the complete Top 25 calendar, click here.
2016 NAIA Men’s Cross Country Coaches’ Regular Season Top 25 Poll – (Oct. 26)
|RANK||LAST||SCHOOL (1ST PLACE VOTES)||TOTAL POINTS|
|1||1||British Columbia (19)||560|
|2||2||St. Francis (Ill.) (1)||539|
|7||7||College of Idaho||438|
|10||24||Shawnee State (Ohio)||383|
|11||15||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)||375|
|12||11||The Master’s (Calif.)||371|
|13||14||SCAD Savannah (Ga.)||351|
|19||13||Saint Mary (Kan.)||222|
|22||11||Lewis-Clark State (Idaho)||184|
|24||NR||Wayland Baptist (Texas)||166|
Others receiving votes: Embry-Riddle (Ariz.) 124; Dordt (Iowa) 87; Columbia (Mo.) 55; Milligan (Tenn.) 51; Madonna (Mich.) 35; Rio Grande (Ohio) 33; Rocky Mountain (Mont.) 20; Northwest Christian (Ore.)16; Vanguard (Calif.) 15; Cumberlands (Ky.)8; Our Lady of the Lake (Texas) 4
^Based off 2016 Coaches’ Poll (Oct. 12, 2016)