2016-17 NAIA Women's Swimming & Diving Coaches' Top 25 Poll - No. 1 (Oct. 27)
By Nikki Sherrill, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) has taken over the No. 1 ranking in the first NAIA Women’s Swimming & Diving Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Thursday. Last season, the Tigers finished as national runner-up in the NAIA Women’s Swimming & Diving National Championships. The next Top 25 Poll will be released Thursday, Nov. 17.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2002-03):
• Olivet Nazarene grabbed four-of-five first-place votes in this edition. In its most recent meet, Olivet Nazarene started its season out against strong competition in Chicago as it competed against two NCAA Division I and Division II programs. Although the Tigers came up short against the three teams, they still had notable finishers.
• Sophomore Amanda Moran, last season’s NAIA Female Swimmer of the Year, led the Tigers with the highest finish; second-place in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 57.88. Moran was also a fifth-place finisher in both the 200-yard backstroke and 100-yard butterfly.
• Behind Olivet Nazarene with one first-place vote is SCAD Savannah (Ga.), which won its third NAIA National Championship last season. SCAD Savannah is led by senior Julie Woody – a three time national champion and four time All-American. In its most recent meet, Woody led SCAD Savannah in the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard freestyle.
• The Bees started the season against NCAA Division I Gardner-Webb (N.C.) in Savannah, losing 136-66. The women won three races and placed second in two. Woody and Abigail Richey were the individual leaders for SCAD Savannah.
• The rest of the top five includes No. 3 Biola (Calif.), No. 4 Cumberlands (Ky.) and No. 5 Brenau (Ga.).
• Top 10 team ratings are conducted by a committee of NAIA Swimming and Diving coaches three times during the season.
• The committee will use the most current “top times” as the primary source of ranking.
2016-17 NAIA Women's Swimming & Diving Coaches' Poll No. 1
|RANK||LAST TIME^||SCHOOL (1st Place Votes)|
|1||2||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) (4)|
|2||1||SCAD Savannah (Ga.) (1)|
|T6||8||Wayland Baptist (Texas)|
|T6||10||College of Idaho|
|8||7||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)|
^Reflects ranking in final 2015-16 poll