KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Dalton Tipton of Missouri Valley has been named the 2016-17 season’s first NAIA National Wrestler of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. He was chosen based on his performances from Nov. 7 – Nov. 12. This is the first weekly award of the 2016-17 season.
National Wrestler of the Week
Dalton Tipton, Missouri Valley
174-pound, So., Smithville, Mo.
• On a 4-0 weekend at the Kaufman-Brand Open in Maryville, Mo., Tipton won each match by pin.
• Tipton came away with the 174-pound title in the amateur division at the event, defeating Joey Mammolenti of King (Tenn.) by a pin in a quick 1:36.
• The quickest pin on the weekend for Tipton came in a 1:34 victory over Baker’s (Kan.) Dustin Carstens.
• Tipton and the rest of the Vikings head to St. Charles, Mo., Saturday for the Lindenwood Parisi Open.
• First NAIA National Wrestler of the Week award.
For the complete NAIA Wrestler of the Week calendar, click here.
National Nominees: Demetrius Thomas, Williams Baptist (Ark.); Jacob Matheson, Truett-McConnell (Ga.); Tavris Evans, Calumet (Ind.); Ceron Francisco, Concordia (Neb.); Dalton Tipton, Missouri Valley; Brandon Lawson-Archuleta, Bethany (Kan.); Tristan Macri, Cumberlands (Ky.); Justin Brown, Campbellsville (Ky.); Colton Rowe, WVU Tech; Timmy Dinsdale, Southeastern (Fla.); Mitch Roadruck, Indiana Tech; Tyler Roberts, Lourdes (Ohio); Troy Mercer , Lyon (Ark.)
2016-17 Wrestling Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (Nov. 16): Dalton Tipton, Missouri Valley