2016-17 NAIA Women's Swimming & Diving Coaches' Top 25 Poll - No. 2 (Nov. 17)
By Nikki Sherrill, Communications and Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – SCAD Savannah (Ga.) has taken over the No. 1 spot in the newest edition of the NAIA Women’s Swimming and Diving Coaches’ Top 25 Poll, the national office announced Thursday. The Bees gathered 61 points and three first-place votes to regain their control. The next Top 25 Poll will be released Thursday, Dec. 15.
Top 25 Highlights (historical information dates back to 2002-03):
• SCAD Savannah (Ga.) is back in the top spot after starting the new season at No. 2. The Bees spent all of last season ranked at No. 1, and they eventually won their third national championship.
• The Bees currently hold four top times this season, with senior Julie Woody controlling two events – 50-yard freestyle (24:08) and 100-yard freestyle (52-88). Abigail Richey swam a 1:55.26 200-yard freestyle, while Lydia Reinhardt owns the 200-yard fly with a time of 2:07.11.
• In its last meet, SCAD Savannah challenged itself by competing at NCAA Division I No. 1 ranked team, Emory (Ga.). Although the Bees fell to 0-2 on the season, the team still managed to win events. Reinhardt placed first in both the 200-yard butterfly (2:07.11) and 100-yard butterfly (58.57), Richey won the 500-yard freestyle (5:02.71), and Rebecca Justus swam a meet-best 4:54.76 to win the 400-yard individual medley. The women also won the 200-yard freestyle relay (1:42.10).
• Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) fell back one spot from their first ranking to No. 2 in the latest edition. The Tigers have not competed since the last poll came out, but still hold some top times this week. Last season’s NAIA Female Swimmer of the Year, Amanda Moran, captured top times in both 100-yard backstroke (57:88) and 200-yard backstroke (2:06.79). Andrea Vega’s time of 2:28 in the 200-yard breaststroke is also good for a top NAIA time.
• The rest of the top five includes No. 3 Biola (Calif.), No. 4 Wayland Baptist (Texas) and No. 5 Brenau (Ga.).
• Top 10 team ratings are conducted by a committee of NAIA Swimming and Diving coaches three times during the season.
• The committee will use the most current “top times” as the primary source of ranking.
2016-17 NAIA Women's Swimming & Diving Coaches' Poll No. 2
|RANK||LAST TIME^||SCHOOL (1st Place Votes)|
|1||2||SCAD Savannah (Ga.) (3)|
|2||1||Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) (1)|
|3||3||Biola (Calif.) (1)|
|4||6||Wayland Baptist (Texas)|
|7||8||Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)|
|8||6||College of Idaho|
^Reflects ranking in 2016-17 Poll No. 1