By Nikki Sherrill, Communications and Sports Information Intern
Photo provided by, Aaron Sagraves, Cornerstone Athletics
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Jesse Sheridan of Cornerstone (Mich.) has been named the NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball National Player of the Week, the national office announced on Tuesday. Sheridan was selected for her performance during the week of Dec. 5 – 12 and was chosen out of the conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners.
Division II Women’s Basketball Player of the Week
Jesse Sheridan, Cornerstone (Mich.)
So., G, Argyle, Texas
• In an 81-70 win over (RV) Madonna (Mich.), Sheridan scored a career-high 30 points, with 24 in the first half, to lead the Golden Eagles to a victory.
• In a comeback win over Lourdes (Ohio) in overtime, Sheridan recorded eight of the team’s 15 points in overtime to help capture an 81-75 Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference victory.
• On the week, Sheridan went 13-of-18 from the charity line and was 19-of-33 from the field to shoot .576 percent.
• Also, in the win against Madonna, Sheridan earned a new career-high in rebounds with eight.
• Ranks in the Top 50 in three statistical categories in the NAIA – No. 29 in total scoring (200), No. 32 in points per game (16.7) and No. 41 in total steals (27).
•This is Sheridan’s first career National Player of the Week award.
For a complete list of all the Women’s Basketball Division II statistical leaders, click here.
For a complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Nominees: Rebecca Cheeks, Reinhardt (Ga.); Gabi Fenumiai, Evergreen (Wash.); Tia King, Indiana East; Jordyn Miller, Southwestern (Kan.); Brittany Martinez, UC Merced; Kyra Dewald, Jamestown (N.D.); Kwannita Janvier, Johnson & Wales (Fla.); Chelsea Winner, Indiana Wesleyan; Charnelle Reed, St. Francis (Ill.); Sammy Kasowski, Mount Marty (S.D.)
2016-17 Division II Women's Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (November 29): Kassidy De Jong, Northwestern (Iowa)
Week 2 (December 6): Mary Janovich, Concordia (Neb.)
Week 3 (December 13): Jesse Sheridan, Cornerstone (Mich.)