KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Stephanie Johnston of Concordia (Mich.) has been named the NAIA National Women's Indoor Track Athlete of The Week and Kelbie Lyon of Hastings (Neb.) has been named the NAIA National Women's Indoor Field Athlete of The Week, the National office announced Wednesday. Johnston and Lyon were selected based on their performances from Jan. 9 – 15. The second Women’s Indoor Track & Field Athletes of the Week will be announced on Jan. 25.
Women’s Indoor Track Athlete of the Week:
Stephanie Johnston, Concordia (Mich.)
Jr., Brantford, Ont..
• Recorded two first-place finishes (5,000 meter run and the mile run) at the Private College Invite on Jan. 14.
• Posted a time of 5.12.34 in the one mile run, finishing eight seconds better than the runner-up. Johnston holds the fifth fastest time for the mile run in the NAIA.
• In the 5,000 meter run, Johnston recorded her personal record and school record with a time of 18.04.13. Johnston qualified for the “A” standard by 14 seconds.
Women’s Indoor Field Athlete of the Week
Kelbie Lyon, Hastings (Neb.)
So., Doniphan, Neb.
• Recorded a first (shot put) and fourth-place finish (weight throw) at the Scott Nisely Memorial Classic in Crete, Neb, on Jan. 14.
• Finished first in the shot put with a personal best distance of 14.38m. Her throw was an “A” standard automatic national qualifying throw and leads the NAIA by almost one foot.
• Lyon also finished fourth in the weight throw with a distance of 16.18m, which was a “B” standard national qualifying throw. Lyon currently sits at No. 6 in the NAIA in the weight throw.
For the complete Athlete of the Week calendar, click here.
Track Nominees: Hannah Segrave, Milligan (Tenn.); 4x800 Relay, Northwest (Wash.); Jenna Moody, St. Francis (Ill.); Taylor Pennington, Bethel (Ind.); Janie Reid, Carroll (Mont.); Bailey Bard, Rocky Mountain (Mont.); Shantinique Cunningham, Hastings (Neb.); Katie Landhuis, Northwestern (Iowa); Marissa DeWispelare, Doane (Neb.); Tiffany Shepherd, Morningside (Iowa); Krista Bushkofsky, Clarke (Iowa); Asia Laudermilch, William Penn (Iowa); Kennedy King, Grand View (Iowa); Lucy Leighton, Benedictine (Kan.); Ashli Pope, Cumberlands (Ky.); Abby Honeyman, Dickinson State (N.D.); Amber Posner, Jamestown (N.D.); Adri Sigafoose, Aquinas (Mich.); Karlie Gallagher, Madonna (Mich.); Audrey Tremaine, Cornerstone (Mich.); Julia Kimmel, Lourdes (Ohio); Sarah Dunmore, Indiana Tech; Morgan Posthuma, Davenport (Mich.)
Field Nominees: Hayley Morse, College of Idaho; Paige Dodd, Eastern Oregon; Raven Kelly, St. Francis (Ill.); Danielle Wojciechowski, Bethel (Ind.); Crystal Schmidt, Carroll (Mont.); Jenny Sapp, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Allie Brooks, Concordia (Neb.); Preston Kopp, Clarke (Iowa); Tyffaney Toms, Grand View (Iowa); Samantha Moses, Cumberlands (Ky.); Megan Johnson, Valley City State (N.D.); Patricia Molina, Waldorf (Iowa); Whitney Leuenberger, Dickinson State (N.D.); Paulina Haak, Jamestown (N.D.); Mallory Bont, Davenport (Mich.); Ashley O'Neill, Siena Heights (Mich.); Savanna Wilson, Lourdes (Ohio); Carly Schmidt, Indiana Tech
2016-17 Women's Indoor T&F Composite Award Winners (Field, Track)
Week 1 (January 18): Kelbie Lyon, Hastings (Neb.) , Stephanie Johnston, Concordia (Mich.)