NAIA National Wrestler of the Week - No. 4 (Jan. 18)
By Nikki Sherrill, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Sammy Rosario of Cumberland (Tenn.) has been name the NAIA National Wrestler of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Rosario was chosen based on his performances from Jan. 8 - 14. The next wrestler of the week will be announced Wednesday, Jan. 25.
NAIA National Wrestler of the Week
Sammy Rosario, Cumberland (Tenn.)
133, Jr., Cartersville, Ga.
• After a 3-0 week, Rosario improved to 13-0 in duals this season and 21-4 overall.
• To start the week, Rosario pinned Lindsey Wilson’s (Ky.) Kadin Scoggins in a time of 2:25 and followed that up with a 14-3 major decision victory against Southeastern’s (Fla.) Jaaziel Santana.
• Rosario earned his 11th victory on the season with a pin over NCAA Division II Ouachita Baptist’s (Ark.) Weston Cronan at 4:49.
• Rosario and the Phoenix will hit the mat again this weekend when they travel to Marshall, Mo., for the Missouri Valley College Invitational.
• This is Rosario’s first career National Wrestler of the Week.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Nominees: Connor Webber, Lyon (Ark.); Joe Hulen, Truett-McConnell (Ga.); Sam Voigtlaender, Great Falls (Mont.); Martin Phillips, Doane (Neb.); Matt Schirado, Dakota Wesleyan (S.D.); Diorian Coleman, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Bobby Ehman, Cumberlands (Ky.); Kristian Holguin-Mendez, Oklahoma City; Tim Dinsdale, Southeastern (Fla.); Chase Hack, Indiana Tech; Garrett Carter, Lourdes (Ohio)
2016-17 Wrestling Composite Award WinnersWeek 1 (November 16): Dalton Tipton, Missouri Valley
Week 2 (December 7): Daniel Leonard, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.)
Week 3 (January 11): Chuck Sharon, Campbellsville (Ky.)
Week 4 (January 18): Sammy Rosario, Cumberland (Tenn.)