NAIA Men's Volleyball National Players of the Week - No. 1 (Jan. 24)
By Nikki Sherrill, Communications & Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Three players have been named NAIA Men’s Volleyball National Players of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Robert Morris’ (Ill.) Paris McFall was selected as Attacker of the Week, CJ Rilveria of Lourdes (Ohio) was chosen as Defender of the Week and the Setter of the week honor went Luke Pope of Ottawa (Kan.) These three were selected based on their performances from Jan. 16 - 22 and were chosen out of a pool of conference player of the week nominees.
National Attacker of the Week
Paris McFall, Robert Morris (Ill.)
6-6, Sr., OH, Maywood, Ill.
• In a five set win over then-No. 7 Clarke (Iowa), McFall recorded 21 kills to start Robert Morris’ 2017 campaign.
• The senior outside hitter earned a .444 hitting percentage in his squad’s first-ever victory over Clarke.
• To go along with his high percentage and kills, McFall counted eight digs, four blocks and a service ace in the 3-2 win.
• In the NAIA, McFall ranks No. 7 in kills per set (4.2) and No. 11 in hitting percentage (.444).
National Defender of the Week
CJ Rilveria, Lourdes (Ohio)
5-7, Sr., DS, Kula, Hawaii
• Rilveria led his then-No. 4 Lourdes program to a 2-1 week with two contests against Top 10 teams.
• Throughout the week, Rilveria did not commit a reception error during any matches.
• In the two victories, Rilveria averaged more than five digs per set, recording 16 in both wins over Lawrence Tech (Mich.) and then-No. 8 St. Ambrose (Iowa). Rilveria’s stat line includes 39 digs, nine assists and two aces.
• Ranks No. 2 nationally in digs per set (3.9) and No. 3 in total digs (39).
National Setter of the Week
Luke Pope, Ottawa (Kan.)
6-1, Jr., S, Long Beach, Calif.
• In three victories last week by Ottawa (Kan.), headlined by a sweep of then-No. 1 Missouri Baptist, Pope earned 113 assists.
• Averaging 37.6 assists per match and 11.3 assists per set, the junior setter helped his Braves improve to 3-0 on the season.
• Besides Pope’s 113 assists, he brought in 11 digs and seven blocks including five in the win over the defending national champion.
• Holds the No. 1 national statistical ranking in assists per set (11.3.) and No. 5 in total assists (113).
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week Calendar, click here.
Attacker: Taylor Tattersall, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Mico Janicijevic, Missouri Baptist; Robin Imar, St. Andrews (N.C.); Nic Gibson, Benedictine Mesa (Ariz.); Sean Barry, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Mike Karl, Trinity Christian (Ill.); Trevor z Wagner, Calumet (Ind.); Charles Belvin, Hope International (Calif.); Pedro Cardoso, Grand View (Iowa); Isaiah Acfalle, Clarke (Iowa); Casey Wood, Missouri Valley; Daniel Jacobs, Ottawa (Kan.); Bryce Johnson, Campbellsville (Ky.); Ryan Maune, Lourdes (Ohio)
Defender: Carlos Rodriguez, St. Andrews (N.C.); Jesus Izaguirre, Benedictine Mesa (Ariz.); Conor Sullivan, Trinity Christian (Ill.); Tim Williams, Calumet (Ind.); Dalton Tucker, Robert Morris (Ill.); Zach Greene, Hope International (Calif.); Steve Harvey, Grand View (Iowa)
Setter: Kyle Foley, Missouri Baptist; Kasey Dunn, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.); Jackson Stark, St. Andrews (N.C.); Jaron Jones, Benedictine Mesa (Ariz.); Bobby Ying, Robert Morris (Ill.); Aaron Kummer, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Liam Fagan, Calumet (Ind.); Enrique Lopez, Hope International (Calif.); Andrea Maggio, Missouri Valley; Felipe Quaresma, Grand View (Iowa); Ryan Ferkel, Lourdes (Ohio)
2017 NAIA Men's Volleyball Players of the Week (Complete Schedule)
Week 1 (Jan. 24): Attacker, Paris McFall, Robert Morris (Ill.); Defender, CJ Rilveria, Lourdes (Ohio); Setter, Luke Pope, Ottawa (Kan.)