NAIA Men's Volleyball National Players of the Week - No. 2 (Jan. 31)
By Nikki Sherrill, Communications & Sports Information Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Three players have been named NAIA Men’s Volleyball National Players of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Daniel Jacobs from Ottawa (Kan.) was selected as Attacker of the Week, Hui Ding of Warner (Fla.) was chosen as Defender of the Week and the Setter of the Week honor went Luke Pope of Ottawa. These three were selected based on their performances from Jan. 23 – 29 and were chosen out of a pool of conference player of the week nominees.
National Attacker of the Week
Daniel Jacobs, Ottawa (Kan.)
6-2, Jr., Burbank, Calif.
• On a 4-0 week for the Braves, including a sweep of then-No. 8 Missouri Valley and a 3-2 win over then-No. 2 Warner (Fla.), Jacobs calculated an attack percentage of .382.
• During the win over Warner, Jacobs recorded a week-high 23 kills and eight digs.
• Jacobs finished the 4-0 week with a stat line that included 64 kills, 22 digs and seven aces.
• In the NAIA, Jacobs’ ranks No. 1 in total kills (115), No. 3 in kills per set (4.8) and No. 4 in total service aces (11).
National Defender of the Week
Hui Ding, Warner (Fla.)
6-1, Sr., Hangzhou, China
• Reaching 73 digs during a four-contest week for Warner, Ding was the strongest defender on the court for the Royals.
• Ding recorded a reception percentage of .955 during a 2-2 week for his squad, with sweeps over Dordt (Iowa) and Morningside (Iowa).
• Hui led the Royals in all four matches in the dig category, with his week-high coming during a 3-2 loss to then-No. 3 Ottawa (Kan.) where he documented 26.
• Ranks No. 1 nationally in digs per set (4.9) and No. 3 in total digs (73).
National Setter of the Week
Luke Pope, Ottawa (Kan.)
6-1, Jr., S, Long Beach, Calif.
• Pope led the Braves to four victories, including two over Top 10 programs. He recorded 148 assists, two kills, two service aces, 24 digs and 11 blocks.
• In the victory over then-No. 8 Missouri Valley, Pope finished with 32 assists and four block assists.
• Against then-No. 2 Warner (Fla.), Pope dialed in to record 49 assists, eight digs and five block assists.
• Holds the No. 1 national statistical ranking in assists per set (10.8.), No. 3 in total assists (261) and No. 9 in total blocks (18).
• This is Pope’s second-straight National Player of the Week honor.
For a complete list of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week Calendar, click here.
Attacker: Daniel Arteaga, Park (Mo.); Mico Janicijevic, Missouri Baptist; Robin Imar, St. Andrews (N.C.); Paris McFall, Robert Morris (Ill.); Trevor Wagner, Calumet (Ind.); Casey Wood, Missouri Valley; Tim Johnson, Grand View (Iowa); Rafael Cruz, Campbellsville (Ky.); Gillan Octave, Warner (Fla.)
Defender: Murilo Pereira, Park (Mo.); Carlos Rodriguez, St. Andrews (N.C.); Dalton Tucker, Robert Morris (Ill.); Jose Gonzales, Calumet (Ind.); Steve Harvey, Grand View (Iowa); Errol Basconcillo, Ottawa (Kan.); Noel Camello, Campbellsville (Ky.)
Setter: Kyle Foley, Missouri Baptist; Jackson Stark, St. Andrews (N.C.); Liam Fagan, Calumet (Ind.); Bobby Ying, Robert Morris (Ill.); Andrea Maggio, Missouri Valley; Felipe Rosa, Grand View (Iowa); Hunter Monday, Campbellsville (Ky.); Martin Krueger, Warner (Fla.)
2017 NAIA Men's Volleyball Players of the Week (Complete Schedule)
Week 1 (Jan. 24): Attacker, Paris McFall, Robert Morris (Ill.); Defender, CJ Rilveria, Lourdes (Ohio); Setter, Luke Pope, Ottawa (Kan.)
Week 2 (January 31): Attacker, Daniel Jacobs, Ottawa (Kan.); Defender, Hui Ding, Warner (Fla.); Setter, Luke Pope, Ottawa (Kan.)