NAIA Division II Women's Basketball Player of the Week - No. 9 (Feb. 7)
Photo provided by Purdue Northwest Athletics
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Cassidy Deno of Purdue Northwest (Ind.) has been named the NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball National Player of the Week, the national office announced on Tuesday. Deno was selected for her performance during the week of Jan. 30 – Feb. 5 and was chosen out of the conference and A.I.I award winners.
NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball Player of the Week
Cassidy Deno, Purdue Northwest (Ind.)
5-11, Sr., G, Otterbein, Ind
• In perhaps one of the greatest single-game performances so far this season, Deno brought in 51 points in a 119-105 Purdue Northwest (Ind.) win over then-No. 24 Olivet Nazarene (Ill.).
• Shooting 18-of-24 from the field and 5-of-7 from beyond the arc, Deno’s scoring clinic was the most points in a single-game in program history.
• In the second win of the week for Purdue Northwest over IU South Bend (Ind.), Deno recorded 22 points and went 6-of-16 from 3-point land. On the week, Deno averaged 36.5 points per game, while shooting .600 percent.
• With the two road victories during the week, Purdue Northwest is now in its sixth-straight 20-win season. Deno also has had a special season individually as she broke the 2,000-point mark and currently sits No. 2 in career scoring history for the program with 2,078 points.
• In four major statistical categories, Deno ranks in the top 10 in the NAIA – No. 4 in free throw percentage (.901), No. 5 in total scoring (519), No. 7 in points per game (19.9) and No. 10 in 3-point field goal percentage (.437).
• This is Deno’s first career National Player of the Week award.
For a complete list of all the Division I Women’s Basketball statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Nominees: Breeana Olson, Dakota State (S.D.); Lauren Lehmkuhl, Morningside (Iowa); Sharday Baines, Rio Grande (Ohio); Keanna Gary, Indiana Tech; Kendall Bradbury, Taylor (Ind.); Amber Levi, Bryan (Tenn.); Christin Strawbridge, Southeastern (Fla.); Nohea Waiwaiole, Oregon Tech; Karlie Steinle, Kansas Wesleyan; Amanda Sanchez, La Sierra (Calif.)
2016-17 Division II Women's Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (November 29): Kassidy De Jong, Northwestern (Iowa)
Week 2 (December 6): Mary Janovich, Concordia (Neb.)
Week 3 (December 13): Jesse Sheridan, Cornerstone (Mich.)
Week 4 (January 3): Petra Lumpert, College of Idaho
Week 5 (January 10): Rebecca Cheeks, Reinhardt (Ga.)
Week 6 (January 17): Lauren McBryar, Saint Francis (Ind.)
Week 7 (January 24): Keanna Gary, Indiana Tech
Week 8 (January 31): Imani White, Saint Mary (Kan.)
Week 9 (February 7): Cassidy Deno, Purdue Northwest (Ind.)