NAIA Division II Women's Basketball Player of the Week - No. 10 (Feb. 14)
Photo provided by Friends Athletics
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Shann Sellers of Friends (Kan.) has been named the NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball National Player of the Week, the national office announced on Tuesday. Sellers was selected for her performance during the week of Feb. 6 – 12 and was chosen out of the conference and Association of Independent Institutions award winners. The final National Player of the Week honor will be announced Tuesday, Feb. 21.
NAIA Division II Women’s Basketball Player of the Week
Shann Sellers, Friends (Kan.)
5-8, Sr., G, Dallas, Texas
• While finishing off a strong regular season for Friends (Kan.), Sellers ended the week on a historic note by breaking the NAIA DII record for steals in a season, as she earned her 162nd on the year – two better than the previous record from 1993.
• Notching two double-doubles in wins over Oklahoma Wesleyan (24 points and 10 rebounds) and RV Ottawa (Kan.) (30 points and 17 rebounds), Sellers helped her Friends team to a 3-0 week. The week ended with Sellers earning her first triple-double, as she netted 25 points, pulled down 10 rebounds and grabbed 10 steals in a 71-50 victory over Southwestern (Kan.).
• During the wins, which clinched the Kansas Collegiate Athletic Conference (KCAC) regular season championship for Friends, Sellers averaged 26.3 points, 12.3 rebounds, 7.7 steals and four assists per game.
• Holds the No. 1 ranking in four major statistical categories in NAIA DII – points per game (24.1), steals per game (6.0), total steals (162) and total scoring (652).
• This is Seller’s first career National Player of the Week award.
For a complete list of all the Division I Women’s Basketball statistical leaders, click here.
For the complete NAIA Player of the Week calendar, click here.
Nominees: Annie Rhinesmith, Dordt (Iowa); Megan Klein, Dickinson State (N.D.); Tia King, Indiana East ; Kara Gerka, Saint Francis (Ind.); Kiara Skinner, College of Idaho; Aunjanay Chambers, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Rebecca Cheeks, Reinhardt (Ga.); April Watson, Siena Heights (Mich.); Christin Strawbridge, Southeastern (Fla.); Jannah Mahmoud, Robert Morris (Ill.)
2016-17 Division II Women's Basketball Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (November 29): Kassidy De Jong, Northwestern (Iowa)
Week 2 (December 6): Mary Janovich, Concordia (Neb.)
Week 3 (December 13): Jesse Sheridan, Cornerstone (Mich.)
Week 4 (January 3): Petra Lumpert, College of Idaho
Week 5 (January 10): Rebecca Cheeks, Reinhardt (Ga.)
Week 6 (January 17): Lauren McBryar, Saint Francis (Ind.)
Week 7 (January 24): Keanna Gary, Indiana Tech
Week 8 (January 31): Imani White, Saint Mary (Kan.)
Week 9 (February 7): Cassidy Deno, Purdue Northwest (Ind.)
Week 10 (February 14): Shann Sellers, Friends (Kan.)