By Spencer Scheve, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Jeremy Brassard of Olivet Nazarene (Ill.) has been named the final NAIA National Men's Indoor Track Athlete of The Week and Justin McKenzie of Indiana Tech has been named the final NAIA National Men's Indoor Field Athlete of The Week of the 2017 season, the national office announced Wednesday. Brassard and McKenzie were selected based on their performances from Feb. 13 – 19.
Men’s Indoor Track Athlete of the Week:
Jeremy Brassard, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)
So., Strafford, N.H.
• Finished first in the 1,000-meter run and the mile run on Feb. 17 - 18 at the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC) Indoor Championships.
• Brassard ran an ‘A’ standard 1,000m with a time of 2:27.09, which ranks No. 1 in the NAIA.
• Ran an ‘A’ standard mile with a time of 4:16.85, which ranks No. 13 in the NAIA.
• Brassard was selected as the CCAC track athlete of the meet.
Men’s Indoor Field Athlete of the Week:
Justin McKenzie, Indiana Tech
Jr., Swart Creek, Mich.
• Placed first in the pole vault out of 12 athletes at the Wolverine-Hoosier Athletic Conference (WHAC) Indoor Championships on Feb. 18.
• McKenzie set a personal best and school record as he cleared 5.15m in the pole vault.
• McKenzie’s earned co-most valuable performance honors and helped the Warriors secure their fifth-straight WHAC indoor track and field title.
For the complete Athlete of the Week calendar, click here.
Track Nominees: Tyler Lawson, Columbia (Mo.); Josh Parson, Tennessee Wesleyan; Riley Sine, Northwest (Wash.); Moussa Conde, Marian (Ind.); Austin Hickerson, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Alex Moses, Bethel (Ind.); Sam Hall, Grace (Ind.); Noah Stratton, Indiana Wesleyan; Jace Kalbfleisch, Great Falls (Mont.); Isaac Petsch, Rocky Mountain (Mont.); Jamal Boma, William Penn (Iowa); Clay Cory, Grand View (Iowa); Mason Held, York (Neb.); Jose Chorro, Dickinson State (N.D.); Mark Ahlers, Waldorf (Iowa); Ben Martinez, Rio Grande (Ohio); Aaron Barlow, Point Park (Pa.); Kyle Pleban, Keiser (Fla.); Colin De Young, Cornerstone (Mich.); Trevor Stanley, Indiana Tech
Field Nominees: Brandon Evans, William Woods (Mo.); Cole Connell, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Dalen Beck, Indiana Wesleyan; Macallister Seitz, Grace (Ind.); Kevin Smith, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Mitchell Soviak, Mount Vernon Nazarene (Ohio); Kyle Ostrander, Bethel (Ind.); Jake Henry, Great Falls (Mont.); Kiven Steitz, Central Methodist (Mo.); Brayden Russell, Campbellsville (Ky.); Ty Malone, Dickinson State (N.D.); Dubem Awuzie, Waldorf (Iowa); Michael Morris, Point Park (Pa.); Keegan Kilfoil-Barnes, Indiana East; Donte Irving, Wayland Baptist (Texas); Thobias Nilsson Montler, Keiser (Fla.)
2016-17 Men's Indoor T&F Composite Award Winners (Field, Track)
Week 1 (January 18): Seth Sabata, Midland (Neb.) , Colin De Young, Cornerstone (Mich.)
Week 2 (January 25): Cody Boellstorff, Concordia (Neb.) , Kejavon Moore, Indiana Tech
Week 3 (February 1): Zach Brittain, Doane (Neb.) , Jackson Thomas, Bacone (Okla.)
Week 4 (February 08): Curtis Bell, Aquinas (Mich.) , Mason Held, York (Neb.)
Week 5 (February 15): Isaac Zitterkopf, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.) , Devan Sawyerr, MidAmerica Nazarene (Kan.)
Week 6 (February 22): Justin McKenzie, Indiana Tech , Jeremy Brassard, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.)