2017 NAIA Baseball National Players of the Week - No. 2 (March 28)
By Nikki Sherrill, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, MO. – Brandon Shaffer of Indiana Wesleyan has been named the NAIA National Baseball Player of the Week and Logan Underhill from Martin Methodist (Tenn.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Pitcher of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Shaffer and Underhill were selected based on their performances from March 20 – 26 and were chosen out of the conference and Association of Independent Institution award winners.
Baseball Player of the Week
Brandon Shaffer, Indiana Wesleyan
5-11, Sr., OF, Albuquerque, N.M.
• The senior outfielder led his team to a 5-1 week, including two road wins.
• His highlight of the week came in the 27-5 win versus Grace (Ind.) on March 25, when he went 3-for-5 with five RBIs. He blasted a pair of solo home runs.
• For the week, he hit .480 (12-for-25), scored nine runs, compiled eight RBIs and finished with a pair of home runs and doubles. He hit at a .800 slugging percentage clip.
• Ranks No. 11 in the NAIA in total doubles (14) and No. 19 in doubles per game (.45).
• This is Shaffer’s first National Player of the Week honor.
Baseball Pitcher of the Week
Logan Underhill, Martin Methodist (Tenn.)
5-11, So., RHP, McMinnville, Tenn.
• Underhill anchored his Martin Methodist team in a 2-1 win over No. 18 Middle Georgia State as he was virtually unhittable.
• The right handed pitcher documented 12 strikeouts with only one walk.
• Throughout the game, Underhill scattered three hits and one unearned run in the win. In the ninth inning, Underhill was lifted just one out shy of a complete game shutout.
• In the NAIA, Underhill ranks No. 35 in walks allowed per game (1.5).
• This is Underhill’s first National Player of the Week honor.
Nick Scott, Williams Baptist (Ark.); Trevor Behrent, Bryan (Tenn.); Christian Camacho, Benedictine Mesa (Ariz.); Jonah Meidl-Zahorodny, Roosevelt (Ill.); Raymond Pedrina, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Jordan Getzelman, Menlo (Calif.); Andrew Kasperbauer, Morningside (Iowa); Jeysen Delgado, William Penn (Iowa); Tyler Yorko, British Columbia; Nate Patterson, Central Christian (Kan.); Trevor Achenbach, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Jayden Jackson, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Todd Nicks, Bellevue (Neb.); Ryan Pouwells, LSU Shreveport (La.); Stefan Mrkonja, Point Park (Pa.); Jerry Mcnew, Mid-America Christian (Okla.); Caleb Leach, Blue Mountain (Miss.); Mike D'acunti, Southeastern (Fla.); Glen McClain, Indiana Tech
Pitcher Nominees: Ryan Phillips, William Woods (Mo.); Payne Kosobucki, Point (Ga.); Jacob Gangelhoff, Benedictine Mesa (Ariz.); Jake Sheley, St. Ambrose (Iowa); Dj Moore, Huntington (Ind.); George Castillo, Hope International (Calif.); Will Frei, Hastings (Neb.); Luis Vilchez, Culver-Stockton (Mo.); Connor Noble, British Columbia; Wilson Teague, Crowley's Ridge (Ark.); Brock Trexler, Lincoln Christian (Ill.); Colton Tison, Sterling (Kan.); Noah Gapp, Cumberlands (Ky.); Max Verdegan, Viterbo (Wis.); Jordan Hackett, Our Lady of the Lake (Texas); Nolan Krivijanski, Point Park (Pa. ; Augie Martinez, SAGU (Texas); Jordan Martin, Thomas (Ga.); Clay Keltner, Cornerstone (Mich.)
2016-17 Baseball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 21): Nolan Krivijanski, Point Park (Pa.), Randy Ventura, Science & Arts (Okla.)
Week 2 (March 28): Logan Underhill, Martin Methodist (Tenn.); Brandon Shaffer, Indiana Wesleyan