2017 NAIA Baseball National Players of the Week - No. 3 (April 4)
By Nikki Sherrill, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, MO. – Derik Bontempo of Bellevue (Neb.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Player of the Week and Nicholas Beardsley from Point Park (Pa.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Pitcher of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Bontempo and Beardsley were selected based on their performances from March 27 – April 2 and were chosen out of the conference and Association of Independent Institution award winners.
Baseball Player of the Week
Derik Bontempo, Bellevue (Neb.)
5-10, Sr., OF, Federal Way, Wash.
• Recorded four multi-hit games, including a three-hit showing with a double and a home run in two different contests during the week.
• Ended with 12 hits on the 7-0 week for the Bruins, including two home runs.
• Led his team with a .522 batting average in 23 at-bats.
• Has now reached base safely in 33-of-34 contests this season.
• This is Bontempo’s first National Player of the Week honor.
Baseball Pitcher of the Week
Nicholas Beardsley, Point Park (Pa.)
6-01, So., P, Torrance, Calif.
• Pitched a no-hit, shut out in a 16-0 win over Ohio Christian to advance his team’s record to 21-7.
• In seven innings pitched, Beardsley only allowed one batter on base after walking him.
• Served-up 12 strikeouts in the win.
• In the NAIA, Beardsley ranks No. 1 in both total earned runs allowed (3) and total runs allowed (4).
• This is Beardsley’s first National Player of the Week honor.
For the complete national player of the week award, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
Player Nominees: Chad Ramsey, Missouri Baptist; Daniel Rodriguez, Reinhardt (Ga.); Tyler Pittmon, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Alexis Paz, Oregon Tech; Jalen Cox, Robert Morris (Ill.); Dalton Combs, Huntington (Ind.); Brandon Sandoval, Vanguard (Calif.); Casey Berg, Concordia (Neb.); Rocky Desantis, Benedictine (Kan.); Jerad Yates, Crowley's Ridge (Ark.); Austin Alexander, Georgia Gwinnett; Cody Mercier, Fisher (Mass.); Vinny Martin, British Columbia; Kyle Anulao, Fisher (Mass.); Logan Todd, Lincoln Christian (Ill.); Caleb Gorman, Central Christian (Kan.); Chris Acosta-tapia, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Chase Schmittou, Cumberlands (Ky.); Ziggy Sloan, LSU Alexandria; Colton Back, Asbury (Ky.); Christian Perez, Science & Arts (Okla.); Tra'mayne Holmes, Faulkner (Ala.); Josh Canabal, Warner (Fla.); Jacob Maas, Concordia (Mich.)
Pitcher Nominees: Ryan Phillips, William Woods (Mo.); Aaron Ford, Tennessee Wesleyan; Skyler Sylvester, Benedictine Mesa (Ariz.); Brayden Royse, Judson (Ill.); Matt Burleton, Marian (Ind.); Matt Fish, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Dominic Potlongo, Hope International (Calif.); Connor Hopkins, Dordt (Iowa); Dustin Eby, Evangel (Mo.); Zach LeBlanc, Fisher (Mass.); Niall Windeler, British Columbia; Jansen McQuerter, College of the Ozarks (Mo.); Brandon Wescher, Kansas Wesleyan; Jared Welander, Campbellsville (Ky.); Colten Barnes, Bellevue (Neb.); Alex Goodman, Southwest (N.M.); Jason Braziel, Southwestern Christian (Okla.); Garrett Waters, Mobile (Ala.); Zach Gary, Webber International (Fla.); Jared Harvey, Indiana Tech
2016-17 Baseball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 21): Nolan Krivijanski, Point Park (Pa.), Randy Ventura, Science & Arts (Okla.)
Week 2 (March 28): Logan Underhill, Martin Methodist (Tenn.); Brandon Shaffer, Indiana Wesleyan
Week 3 (April 4): Derik Bontempo, Bellevue (Neb.); Nicholas Beardsley, Point Park (Pa.)