By Nikki Sherrill, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, MO. – Brady Nygaard of Mayville State (N.D.) has been named the NAIA National Baseball Player of the Week and Zach Draper from College of Idaho has been named the NAIA National Baseball Pitcher of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Nygaard and Draper were selected based on their performances from April 10 – 16 and were chosen out of the conference and Association of Independent Institution award winners.
Baseball Player of the Week
Brady Nygaard, Mayville State (N.D.)
6-1, So., 1B, Mayville, N.D.
• During a 6-0 week for Mayville State (N.D.), Nygaard earned a batting average of .667.
• In 15 total at-bats, Nygaard connected for 10 hits including three homeruns for the week.
• Batted in 14 runs in the six wins, including a week-high five RBI’s in the first contest of the week.
• Ranks No. 3 in the NAIA in runs batted in per game (1.5) and No. 12 in total runs batted in (56).
• This is Nygaard’s first National Player of the Week honor.
Baseball Pitcher of the Week
Zach Draper, College of Idaho
6-4, Sr., P, Salt Lake City, Utah
• Tossed a complete game and one-hit shutout over Oregon Tech in a 5-0 victory for his College of Idaho team.
• Earned a career-high 12 strikeouts and retired 18-consecutive batters at one stretch in the contest.
• His 12 strikeouts are the most for a College of Idaho pitcher since the 2006 season.
• In the NAIA, Draper ranks No. 23 in innings pitched per game (6.5).
• This is Draper’s first National Player of the Week honor.
For the complete national player of the week award, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
Player Nominees: Andrew Warner, Columbia (Mo.); Juan Reyes, Point (Ga.); Matt Majher, La Sierra (Calif.); Tanner Mclain, Olivet Nazarene (Ill.); Jordan Jackson, Marian (Ind.); J.j. Robinson, Lewis-Clark State (Idaho); Dalton Devries, The Master's (Calif.); Nate Dechaine, Morningside (Iowa); Jeysen Delgado, William Penn (Iowa); Mitch Robinson, British Columbia; Marcus McCorkle, Georgia Gwinnett; Logan Todd, Lincoln Christian (Ill.); Jerad Yates, Crowley's Ridge (Ark.); Randy Perez, Ottawa (Kan.); Jesse Reyes, Cumberlands (Ky.); Carlos Andrade, Jarvis Christian (Texas); Logan Barnes, Indiana Southeast; Jared Baker, Oklahoma City; Alexander Lorenzo, Loyola (La.); Cristian Rivera, Webber International (Fla.); Peyton Newsom, Indiana Tech
Pitcher Nominees: Nick Vichio, Missouri Baptist; Enrique Zamora, Reinhardt (Ga.); Dallas Litscher, Antelope Valley (Calif.); Ty Parquette, Judson (Ill.); Brody Harris, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Micah Beyer, Biola (Calif.); Will Frei, Hastings (Neb.); Axl Parra, Graceland (Iowa); Tyler Gillies, British Columbia; Tyler Souris, Georgia Gwinnett; Tyler Battles, Crowley's Ridge (Ark.); Carlos Aldana, Oklahoma Wesleyan; Manny Castellano, Cumberlands (Ky.); Colten Barnes, Bellevue (Neb.); Teddy Henderson, Texas A&M Texarkana; Addison Domingo, Point Park (Pa.); Jose Hidalgo, Science & Arts (Okla.); Mason Klotz, Middle Georgia State; Nate Harmon, Southeastern (Fla.); Krystien Johnson-Batillana, Davenport (Mich.)
2016-17 Baseball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 21): Nolan Krivijanski, Point Park (Pa.), Randy Ventura, Science & Arts (Okla.)
Week 2 (March 28): Logan Underhill, Martin Methodist (Tenn.); Brandon Shaffer, Indiana Wesleyan
Week 3 (April 4): Derik Bontempo, Bellevue (Neb.); Nicholas Beardsley, Point Park (Pa.)
Week 4 (April 11): Billy Damon, York (Neb.); Robert Winslow, The Master’s (Calif.)
Week 5 (April 18): Brady Nygaard, Mayville State (N.D.); Zach Draper, College of Idaho