By Nikki Sherrill, Athletic Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Paula Gordillo of LSU Alexandria (La.) has been named the NAIA National Women's Tennis Player of the Week, the national office announced Wednesday. Gordillo was selected based on her performances from April 10 – 16 and was chosen out of a pool of conference, Association of Independent Institutions and unaffiliated group winners.
National Tennis Player of the Week
Paula Gordillo, LSU Alexandria (La.)
Sr., Madrid, Spain
• During a 2-1 week for her No. 11 LSU Alexandria team, Gordillo went 5-0 with one unfinished match individually.
• Gordillo faced three nationally ranked opponents in the week’s competition.
• The biggest victory for Gordillo came against No. 3 SCAD Savannah (Ga.) as she ended with an 8-5 win in doubles.
• Gbaguidi now sits at 7-2 in singles and 12-4 overall for doubles play this season.
• This is Gordillo’s first National Player of the Week honor.
Nominees: Emily Stevenson, St. Louis Pharmacy (Mo.); Zlata Shuraeva, William Woods (Mo.); Chiara Rebecchi, Reinhardt (Ga.); Gabriela Demchenko, St. Francis (Ill.); Mary-Kate McShane, Spring Arbor (Mich.); Natasha Hongsermeier, Morningside (Iowa); Katie Golka, College of Saint Mary (Neb.); Morgan Meyer, Doane (Neb.); Yi Chen Pao , Xavier (La.); Eisha Nathwani, Grand View (Iowa); Mairead Cleary, Evangel (Mo.); Valeria Podda, Georgia Gwinnett; Jessica Emoto, Tabor (Kan.); Anna Mankoski, Southwestern (Kan.); Kaede Amano, Campbellsville (Ky.); Isabella Dale, Cumberlands (Ky.); Sarah Beth Alford, Asbury (Ky.); Bri Ayres, Indiana East; Jelena Djordan, William Carey (Miss.); Paige Murdock, SCAD Savannah (Ga.); Raquel Marques, Northwestern Ohio; Raquel Manzoni, Indiana Tech
2017 Women's Tennis Composite Award Winners
Week 1 (March 22): Rachel Bottorff, Indiana Wesleyan
Week 2 (March 29): Vladica Djurdjevic, Northwestern Ohio
Week 3 (April 5): Sara Andrade, LSU Alexandria (La.)
Week 4 (April 11): Camille Gbaguidi, SCAD Savannah (Ga.)
Week 5 (April 19): Paula Gordillo, LSU Alexandria (La.)