By Spencer Scheve, Athletics Communications and Media Intern
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Taylor Winn of Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.) has been named the NAIA National Softball Pitcher of the Week and Kali Pugh of Oklahoma City has been named the NAIA National Softball Player of the Week, the national office announced Tuesday. Winn and Pugh were selected based on their performances from April 17 – 23, and were chosen out of a pool of conference, independent and unaffiliated group winners.
Softball Pitcher of the Week
Taylor Winn, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.)
Sr., P, Herrin, Ill.
• Winn earned five wins while allowing zero earned runs against Missouri Baptist, Calumet (Ind.) and Cardinal Stritch (Wis.).
• Winn pitched 29.0 innings allowing 12 hits, while recording 29 strikeouts and three walks on the week.
• Her highlight game came against Missouri Baptist where Winn recorded 11 strikeouts and allowed two hits in seven innings pitched.
• She boasts a 22-5 overall record with a 1.91 ERA on the season.
• Ranked No. 4 in the NAIA in wins (22) and total innings pitched (187.1).
• Winn’s 29 strikeouts pushed her total over 600 in her career.
Softball Player of the Week
Kali Pugh, Oklahoma City
Sr. IF, Vista, Calif.
• Helped her team to a 5-1 week against then-No. 6 NCAA Division II West Texas A&M, Bacone (Okla.) and Texas Wesleyan.
• Had 23 at-bats, connecting for 15 hits, totaling 10 RBI’s on the week.
• Her highlight game came in the first game of a double-header against West Texas A&M where Pugh recorded three hits, tallied two RBI’s and delivered a 10th inning RBI to claim the victory over the Buffs.
• Averaged 3.8 at bats, 2.5 hits, 2.2 runs scored, a batting average of .652 and a slugging percentage of 1.087.
• Pugh’s two homers in a game against Bacone marks her third time this season and fifth time in her Oklahoma City career she has belted two home runs in a game.
For more information on NAIA softball, click here.
For a complete listing of all the national statistical leaders, click here.
Pitcher Nominees: Taylor Nix, Truett-McConnell (Ga.); Vanessa Froussine, La Sierra (Calif.); Loryn Williams, Oregon Tech; Morghan Dieringer, St. Francis (Ill.); Hannah Robbins, Taylor (Ind.); Tori Franks, Hope International (Calif.); Ashlynn Clifford, Hastings (Neb.); Sarah Crews, Clarke (Iowa); Zoe Gillis, British Columbia; Kasi Kraus, Central Christian (Kan.); Taylor Hansis, Georgia Gwinnett; Molli Morgan, Ottawa (Kan.); Casey Bryan, Lindsey Wilson (Ky.); Abigail Brooks, Dickinson State (N.D.); Madison Resch, LSU Alexandria; Tiffany Wickline, Midway (Ky.); Jaden Shores, Oklahoma City; Kathleen Daniel, Brenau (Ga.); Lindsie Scholwinski, Southeastern (Fla.); Alexa Cherney, Lawrence Tech (MI)
Player Nominees: Hannah Campbell, William Woods (Mo.); Chandler Overton, Union (Ky.); Genifer Garbellini, La Sierra (Calif.); Taylor Eilders, Corban (Ore.); Savannah Kinsella, Saint Xavier (Ill.); Davis Carter, Taylor (Ind.); Kyla Cisneros, William Jessup (Calif.); Karlee Kozak, Mount Marty (S.D.); Hannah Steeby, Central Methodist (Mo.); Sydney Brown, British Columbia; Lyssa Ritchhart, Central Christian (Kan.); Sydney Willhite, Georgia Gwinnett; Sara Gonzalez, Friends (Kan.); Jacqueline Roof, Campbellsville (Ky.); Kadie Anderson, Valley City State (N.D.); Dani Billings, LSU Alexandria; Carly Skeese, Rio Grande (Ohio); Autumn Conaway, Brenau (Ga.); Marissa Becker, USC Beaufort (S.C.); Alexa Flores, Davenport (Mich.)
2017 Softball Composite Award Winners (Pitcher, Player)
Week 1 (March 22): Kathleen Daniel, Brenau (Ga.), Allyson Metz, Columbia (Mo.)
Week 2 (March 29): Georgia Wall, Oklahoma City, Kaisey Carson, Indiana Wesleyan
Week 3 (April 5): Kathleen Daniel, Brenau (Ga.), Kelsey Gravens, Midway (Ky.)
Week 4 (April 12): Abby Meador, Oklahoma City, Kassidy Butler, Michigan-Dearborn
Week 5 (April 19): Kathleen Daniel, Brenau (Ga.), Molly Carter, Columbia (Mo.)
Week 6 (April 26): Taylor Winn, Lindenwood-Belleville (Ill.), Kali Pugh, Oklahoma City